Re: Authentication vs Authorization clarification

Melvin: that’s exactly the correct distinction. The distinction between
authentication and authorization is a false comparison.

Authorization depends on identification (often by asserting an identifier)

If the relying party wishes to gain confidence in the identifier (not
tampered, not forged, subject is the intended subject) then an
authentication process is performed.

This is why DID-Auth is sometimes described as verification of the DID
Object, rather than a ‘login’ activity.

Weirdly, the full process of logging into a web site is actually mostly an
authorization activity ;-) the user authenticates their user ID which is
accepted by the server.

*Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
Independent Consultant

o  +1 650.209.7542