Re: existing identifiers for people

On 2018-06-12 8:50 AM, Siegman, Tzviya wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’m seeing a lot of use cases for persistent identifiers for people.
> In the STEM world, the ORCID [1] is widely used. Some publishers (like
> the one I work for) require authors to have an ORCID. There is an
> overlapping system called ISNI [2]. These are real-world scenarios
> that already have ecosystems supporting them.

That's very interesting, and the Wikipedia page for it shows that it's
widespread and increasing rapidly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORCID

But it seems to me that it's happening at a different logical layer
than DID, and that DID will have different capabilities; and so both
could be used together if DID becomes widespread.

For example, the ORCHID doesn't appear to support pseudonymous use, or
multiple use, or to be safe for web commerce (via public/private
keys); or Self-Sovereign Identity in general; the control of the data
is by the ORCHID organization, which is centralized.

These are just first impressions; perhaps I'm mistaken. But I don't
think it's solving the same problem DID can potentially solve. ORCHID
appears to be for researchers embedded in institutions who are using
publisher organizations, whereas DID is attempting to be useful --
though admittedly in a similar way at some points -- for everybody on
the internet.

Steven