Re: Call for Focal DID Use Cases

« Correlation » is essential when fighting against financial crime, that’s why OECD has defined the concept of TIN (http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-identification-numbers/#d.en.347759 <http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-identification-numbers/#d.en.347759>) and imposes reporting to banks (CRS), thanks to « Panama Papers » and similar initiatives.

Most discussions are taking the perspective of « me and and my service provider ». A condition of trust in the digital economy is however to know/discover your potential partners and apply some « due diligence ». This means that the potential counterpart must be identified and also the « beneficial owners ».

To fight efficiently against financial crime, there should no limit, honest people have nothing to hide. The financial ecosystem should be organized in such a way that some trusted parties have access to « a lot » of information and can issue some VCs to be used by those who have restricted access.
When making a transaction, the originating party must identify unambiguously the beneficiary. The originating party could establish a relationship with the beneficiary, verify the claims and instruct the transaction.

The problem is to organise such an ecosystem, much more than inventing the technology. In the meantime, Unique identifiers remain the best solution to improve financial security. A DID is nothing else than a unique identifier but it will take time and all side effects must be analysed: do it make sense to write a DID on a pallet and then, what’s the difference with a GLN?
One could say there is a risk of correlating information with global IDs, but that’s exactly what the controllers in an ecosystem must do.

Note that with DIDs, the problem of data management is just the same: the parties can move, merge,… You might be dealing with DID that no longer correspond to real identities.

Stephane