Re: [MINUTES] W3C Credentials CG Call - 2018-01-30 12pm ET

On 2018-01-30 10:39 AM, msporny@digitalbazaar.com wrote:

> Manu Sporny:  May want to cover uport blog post
> Manu Sporny:  If you're writing about the work of the community
>    ... please share credit for the groups that have been
>    incubating these ideas
>    ... IIW, RWOT, W3C, DIF

At the above point, in the audio for the group, as I hear it Manu also
says:

"...it's mostly like, where is large amounts of the work
happening...--I think DIF would probably also like to be mentioned,
although it's not clear to me, you now, exactly what work's going on
there, so maybe someone from DIF can let us know."

I managed to repress my internal red flag about the Uport Blog failing
to attribute the CCG DID work in the other thread, but apparently Manu
feels something the same, so I'm going to come right out with it:

1. The Uport Blog suggested that the DID work existed under the
auspices of the DIF.

2. After Manu's complaint and request, the corrected Uport Blog still
lists the DID work under DIF heading, though with a mention in another
section that the CCG group exists and is also working on DID along
with the DIF.

https://medium.com/uport/different-approaches-to-ethereum-identity-standards-a09488347c87

3. DIF appears to be primarily a large group of corporations,
including Microsoft and IBM.

http://identity.foundation/

Red Flag: Is it possible -- and there is history for this, I believe,
in other situations, particularly with Microsoft -- that one or more
of the companies in the DIF will attempt to use DID for a silo, to
preempt the ability of the DID platform to spread into general use? Or
even purposely interfere with the DID coding and use, in a way that
fouls it up or slows it down, so that it won't compete with something
else that they've got going elsewhere?

This sounds like a conspiracy theory, granted. But OTOH these things
actually have happened in the past, and the Uport blog seems like a
pretty large hint that it's at least possible here.

So: are there other things in this situation that prevent the
possibility of this happening?

Steven