Re: [AGENDA] W3C Credentials CG Call Tue, February 13, 12 noon ET

On 2018-02-12 9:07 AM, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> *TL;DR: Object Capabilities*
>     *Object Capabilities (33 minutes)*
>
>      1.
>
>         _https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-fall2017/blob/master/final-documents/lds-ocap.pdf_

 From my reading of this, it appears that such capabilities are
probably covered by what ODRL (Open Digital Rights Language) provides.
Very recently ODRL 2.2 has finished the W3C process and is about to be
published as a spec (after 17 years of development):

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/
[3] https://www.w3.org/2016/poe/wiki/Main_Page

I found this paper from 2014 in the Journal "Bibliometrics" showing
that it is appropriate for Linked Data:

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2660530

Abstract:

Together with the latest efforts in publishing Linked (Open) Data,
legal issues around publishing and consuming such data are gaining
increased interest. Particular areas of interest include (i) how to
define more expressive access policies which go beyond common
licenses, (ii) how to introduce pricing models for online datasets
(for non-open data) and (iii) how to realize (i)+(ii) while providing
descriptions of respective meta data that is both human readable and
machine processable. In this paper, we show based on different
examples that the Open Digital Rights Language (ODRL) Ontology 2.0 is
able to address all previous mentioned issues, i.e. is suitable to
express a large variety of different access policies for Linked Data.
By defining policies as ODRL in RDF we aim for (i) higher flexibility
and simplicity in usage, (ii) machine/human readability and (iii)
fine-grained policy expressions for Linked (Open) Data.

So...perhaps ODRL can be integrated somehow with the DID now?

Steven