Re: [Hyperledger Indy] Hyperledger Indy and Ethereum DIDs interoperability through decentralized universal resolvers on Ethereum/Indy - Nathan Aw from Singapore

Nathan,

One thing to point out is that https://uniresolver.io/ is running one
public instance of the Universal Resolver (I assume that's why you call
it "centralized").
Of course you should NOT use this public, centralized instance for
anything other than simple testing and debugging, precisely because you
don't want to trust that hosted service with anything important.

The whole point is that you should run your own instance of this
Universal Resolver (or other DID resolver implementations). It's open
source, so you can deploy it yourself. This makes it "decentralized":
https://github.com/decentralized-identity/universal-resolver/

Regarding your point 2.:
- "Getting hold of one's DID" is strictly speaking method dependent.
Typically a DID is controlled by a private key, and if you lose access
to the private key, then you lose control over your DID and DID
document. But "control over a DID" can also be implemented in a more
nuanced way, e.g. there could be different keys with different
"capabilities", and if you lose access to one private key, then there
may be ways to still recover control over your DID and DID document in
other ways. Again, this is DID method dependent.
- The DID document is considered public, anyone in the world can read
it, just like anyone in the world can resolve a domain name to its IP
address. This means you shouldn't have any sensitive/private information
in the DID document anyway.
- Losing control over your DID and DID document does not necessarily
have implications on the services that are discoverable from the DID.
For example, if an attacker "gets hold of your DID", then that attacker
may still not be able to access an ActivityPub service, or XDI service,
or Sovrin agent that is associated with the DID.

Markus