Re: Ideas about DID explanation

On 2018-12-09 13:53, =Drummond Reed wrote:
> To generalize on Stephen's (excellent) point, any system of > record—not just governments—can follow the same pattern:
> map their internal identifier for a subject
> (citizen/customer/employee/contractor/partner/etc.) to a
> pairwise pseudonymous DID supplied by the subject.

That's undeniable.

The problem I see is that this mapping involves a process as well which also have to be *repeated* for every party the user interacts with.

> Now the subject can prove control over the DID to the system
> of record *without* having to use/reuse the system of record's
> internal identifier anywhere. Suddenly the ability for anyone to
> use an internal identifier as proof of identity just goes away.

It is true that this has happened but why would anybody use such a system today?
Internal violations (like looking into someone's file you are not supposed to do) will still be possible no matter what scheme you use.

The Canadians are apparently betting on an even more sophisticated scheme:
https://youtu.be/nyqhytBYQCc

Anders

It moves where it should: to the private key(s) for a DID—and that DID shared with only the parties who need to know that it.