Re: Ideas about DID explanation

From: =Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 12:58:25 +0000
To: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Cc: anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com, Andrew Hughes <andrewhughes3000@gmail.com>, Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>, Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman@evernym.com>, Kim Hamilton Duffy <kim@learningmachine.com>
On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
wrote:

> @Anders,
>
> In [1], the identifier could be a DID. The Tax Department might decide
> that only some of the DID methods meet its security requirements. These
> requirements could be different from those of the Social Security.
>
> The citizen would have a choice of identifiers to use as long as there are
> multiple DID methods acceptable to the authorities.

Adrian has a very important point here: the foundational security of any
DID-based solution is the security of the DID and DID document on the
target system (blockchain, distributed ledger, distributed database, DHT,
etc.) for that particular DID method. The security, privacy, availability,
anti-censorship, and other properties of those target systems may vary
substantially. But at least this means we can have a virtuous cycle of
competition for the strongest and safest DID target systems vs. the vicious
cycle of declining cybersecurity and privacy protections we have today.