Re: Ideas about the monetization of self-sovereign identity business

From: Kevin O'Brien <kevin@kiva.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 10:16:47 -0800
To: gilang@idblockchain.network
Cc: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
I like the concept, thanks for sharing.

One thing I've wondered is where the perceived costs are in such a system,
thus leading to a need to monetize at all, but that comes from my
non-profit perspective.

In our case, we could have volunteers running nodes. However, we'd likely
need some paid folks to handle recovery / fraud resolution cases.

Have others thought about where the main costs are (asides ongoing
development costs of the underlying tech) ?

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:09 AM Gilang Bhagaskara
<gilang@idblockchain.network> wrote:

> Hi, this is my first time posting here, I joined hoping to learn and
> contribute to this group. I'm relatively new to decentralized identities
> and self sovereignty, so I hope that the topic I am bringing up is not too
> far from the ideals and goals of this group.
>
> I want to share a concept design where a business running self-sovereign
> identity services can monetize, with the following diagram as an
> explanation. (sorry if it looks ugly)
>
> [image: image.png]
> (use https://snag.gy/JB9SNa.jpg if picture is not available)
>
> Basically the business will be supported by a consortium of companies
> running blockchain nodes, where the SSI company will channel its profit to
> the consortium members.
>
>    1. Main source of income is from companies utilizing SSI services and
>    paying yearly subscriber fee for their users (in USD)
>    2. Government bodies can use the services with a discounted rate, up
>    to 100% for identity issuer
>    3. 50% of the profit the company receives is distributed among
>    consortium members
>    4. Portions received by consortium members is different depending on
>    the deal with the SSI company
>    5. Consortium members can also utilize the services for their
>    business, converting the profit sharing into discount rate for subscription
>    fee if the value is still viable
>    6. Government can join consortium, also receiving the profit sharing
>    7. Government (or other companies) can give grant to the ecosystem,
>    either directly to the SSI company or to the consortium
>
> What do you think? Has this concept been realized before? What are the
> pros and cons of this concept? Thoughts and questions are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Gilang

image.png
(image/png attachment: image.png)