Re: Ideas about DID explanation

Yep - I think that being able to explain what a DID is and its special
properties is one task. Being able to describe scenarios where these
special properties allow new possibilities (and why existing identified
won't give the same benefits) is also important.

But I think we as the CCG tend to talk about the latter and we've been
given feedback that our audience wants more of the former.

For example, I only just came to understand a few weeks ago that having the
authentication parts in the DID document is how long term key management is
possible. This is what makes a DID more than just a complex private key.
And that is how the claim of long term persistence is made possible.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:43 PM Adam Lake <alake@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > 3) may be a self-issued identifier
>> > 4) cannot be 'cancelled' by an authority
>> > 5) includes the associated DID Document, which may contain material
>> > used to authenticate the DID, the DID Document, and the DID
>> > 'owner/controller'
>> >
>> > a) DID authentication may use cryptographic proofs to demonstrate
>> > which entity is the 'owner/controller'.
>> > b) When cryptographic proofs for DID authentication are used, this
>> > enables special properties associated with zero knowledge proofs such
>> > as selective disclosure, <<what is this list?>>
>> > c) Authentication mechanisms, keying material, service endpoints, etc.
>> > specified in the DID Document can be managed without requiring the DID
>> > value to change.
>> > d) The ability to manage keying material without disturbing the DID
>> > value enables key rotation and key recovery mechanisms
>> > e) The registry of DID Methods accepts all valid DID Method Schemes,
>> > therefore the DID namespace may be extended to cover existing and
>> > previously-unknown identifier schemes or technologies.
>> >
>> > A DID also
>> > i) may be a Uniform Resource Locator if it is resolved to locate a
>> > resource on the Web.
>> > ii) can be directly used, referenced and resolved in any DLT by
>> > writing a new DID method
>> >
>> > Each of the lists kinda speaks to a slightly different audience to
>> > address their concerns and questions. The implications of each bullet
>> > could also be expanded if needed (e.g WHY is it significant that a DID
>> > cannot be cancelled by an authority?, etc)
>> >
>> > What do you think? Is this close?
>> > It assumes that the reader is familiar with namespace characteristics,
>> > namespace management, key management, resolvers. And generally,
>> > issues/strengths with them. Which probably describes our current
>> > target audience. If the 'cryptographic' bullets are enhanced then it
>> > can also speak to 'crypto-people'.
>> >
>> > Thanks to Markus for helping refine this but, of course, any
>> > misunderstandings or errors are all mine.
>> > andrew.
>> >
>> > *Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
>> > *In Turn Information Management Consulting*
>> >
>> > o  +1 650.209.7542
>> > m +1 250.888.9474
>> > 1249 Palmer Road, Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1249+Palmer+Road,%C2%A0Victoria,+BC+V8P+2H8&entry=gmail&source=g>
>> > AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com <mailto:AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com>
>> > _https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hughes-682058a_
>> > *Digital Identity | International Standards | Information Security *
>> >

> --
> Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
> In Turn Information Management Consulting
> o  +1 650.209.7542 m +1 250.888.9474
> 1249 Palmer Road, Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1249+Palmer+Road,%C2%A0Victoria,+BC+V8P+2H8&entry=gmail&source=g>
> AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hughes-682058a
> Digital Identity | International Standards | Information Security

Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP