Re: Integration with traditional PKI schemes

On 08/01/2018 03:57 AM, Carlos Bruguera wrote:
> Is there any literature, ongoing work or specific aspect of the
> present DID/credential development that allows an entity to utilize
> x.509 certificates as verificable credentials within the
> decentralized ecosystem?

The desire is there, and some of the building blocks for x.509 are
re-used (RSA Signatures, etc.).

It wouldn't be difficult to identify a few use cases where you have a
DID Document point to an x.509 certificate and vice versa. I think the
issue is that the use cases haven't been identified yet.

For example, here's one that comes to mind:

Enable someone to claim that an email address is theirs and provide
proof that a Certificate Authority has attested to that fact via an
x.509 certificate.

You could easily add a link to the x.509 certificate in the
credential.evidence field. You could also bind the x.509 certificate
using the SAN field, placing a DID into that field.

... but all that said, it would probably just be easier for an entity to
issue a verifiable credential that doesn't have the indirection in it.

In any case, I think the first step here is to find a compelling use
case. Perhaps stating that a domain is yours would be a better use case?

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches