Re: When to use pair-wise unique DIDs vs. just individual unique DIDs

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM, Carlos Bruguera <carlos@selfkey.org> wrote:

> Hey Drummond,
>
> The approach of "private" pairwise DID seems totally reasonable as it fits
> the very purpose of pairwise identifiers which is (in my understanding) to
> establish a *private* channel for authentication and authenticated
> comunication between entities. Also, leaving the ledger for the data that
> is making purposedly public works not only as an anti-spam measure on the
> ledger but also solves multiple privacy and anonymity issues.

Agreed.

> I'm guessing this approach can also be used in cases where correlativity
> is desired or at least tolerated (by using the same DID or "facet" for
> authenticating to multiple (possibly related) services, even if generated
> locally and exchanged privately)?...

Yes. From my POV, DIDs can support any degree of pseudonymity or veronymity
as desired by the publisher of the DID. Pairwise pseudonymous DIDs on a
microledger are one end of the spectrum; fully public DIDs on a public
ledger are another, and you can also establish any degree in between. Note
that it's also possible to have pseudonymous DIDs—even pairwise—on a public
ledger; my previous post just explained why it wasn't necessary to do that.

> On a different line, is there any level of "anchoring" for these "private
> DIDs" against the public ledger? Or it's not necessary at all?

Yes, there are cases where you might want to do this. The one we've
discussed most in the Sovrin community is the need for the parties to
a pairwise pseudonymous DID to use a public ledger to establish a "dead-drop
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_drop>" in case both parties happened to
move agents/agencies at the same time and lost their connection. However
that's an edge case, and as long as both parties agree beforehand how the
dead-drop will be established, there is no need to do actually create it
unless/until they become disconnected.

=D