Re: Question: WebAuthn announcement -- relation to DIDs?

Re: " Interesting. This "can't be used across multiple sites", as I
understand it, was a major reason why Verifiable Credentials and then DID
have been developed -- to give the user/owner the control over their own
identity data, so they can move from site to site and their data isn't
locked in by a single vendor system.

So, this is still a major problem; and one which, perhaps, many vendors in
the FIDO alliance would rather wasn't solved? Because I think it's fair to
say that at least some of the large corporations involved have a business
model that depends on having that data all to themselves."

I couldn't agree more with Steven's point!... especially this: " perhaps,
many vendors in the FIDO alliance would rather wasn't solved?"  We need to
avoid vendor lock-in.

- Mark Chipman

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
wrote:

> On 2018-04-12 11:17 PM, Adam Powers wrote:
>
>> Great point, here are the links from my presentation (there were a couple
>> other presentations as well):
>> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LyYp_SZpqboIPfUa1lo9
>> zKtNv9SIv-5I?usp=sharing
>>
>> I think the only real problem we encountered was that (by design)
>> WebAuthn uses "origin" to bind authentication to a specific service. It's a
>> solvable problem, it will just take some conversation to figure out the
>> pros and cons of some of the solutions that were mentioned. At the very
>> least, it's implementable / demo-able now but the same DID can't be used
>> across multiple sites until the origin issue gets solved.
>>

> Interesting. This "can't be used across multiple sites", as I understand
> it, was a major reason why Verifiable Credentials and then DID have been
> developed -- to give the user/owner the control over their own identity
> data, so they can move from site to site and their data isn't locked in by
> a single vendor system.
>
> So, this is still a major problem; and one which, perhaps, many vendors in
> the FIDO alliance would rather wasn't solved? Because I think it's fair to
> say that at least some of the large corporations involved have a business
> model that depends on having that data all to themselves.
>
> And it seems, based on the presentation linked above, that this is
> relatively easy to solve, technically; or if not easy, at least doable.
>
> Yet will it be done? Because it doesn't seem easy to predict how it will
> all play out politically.
>
> IMO that may depend on there being sufficient demand for DID that the
> WebAuthn can't ignore it, even if some of those supporting WebAuthn would
> actually rather DID just failed. ;-)
>

> Steven Rowat
>

>> On April 12, 2018 at 10:19:06 AM, Andrew Hughes (
>> andrewhughes3000@gmail.com <mailto:andrewhughes3000@gmail.com>) wrote:
>>
>> At the Internet Identity Workshop (IIW) last week in Mountain View, there
>>> were some sessions discussing exactly this topic - how should WebAuthn and
>>> Verifiable Credentials and Credentials Community Group work together -
>>> leaders from each of the efforts were in attendance.
>>>
>>> andrew.
>>>
>>> *Andrew Hughes *CISM CISSP
>>> *In Turn Information Management Consulting*
>>>
>>> o  +1 650.209.7542
>>> m +1 250.888.9474
>>> 1249 Palmer Road, Victoria, BC V8P 2H8
>>> AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com <mailto:AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com>
>>> ca.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-hughes/a/58/682/ <

--
- Mark