Re: Question: WebAuthn announcement -- relation to DIDs?

On 04/13/2018 03:16 PM, Brent Zundel wrote:
> Sovrin does encourage the use of pairwise DIDs. Each relationship should
> have a unique pair of DIDs, even if one or both of the entities has a
> ledger-bound "public" DID.
> The point of pairwise DIDs is exactly to avoid building "up a lot of
> correlatable data about yourself."

At the risk of going way off topic, I do think it's important to mention
this to others who may not be familiar with pairwise DIDs:

It should be noted that using pairwise DIDs is a *requirement* for
avoiding correlation where the common link would be a DID. This does not
mean that pairwise DIDs will enable you to "avoid building up a lot of
correlatable data about yourself". The number of ways this may occur is
myriad and pairwise DIDs plug a single hole in that colander.

If your use case can be addressed such that it has just that one hole,
then the math of ZKPs (Zero-Knowledge Proofs, more on those below) and
the use of pairwise DIDs will keep your shared information isolated.
These use cases are a good fit for the technology and the added
complexity it brings.

But, be aware that if your use case has more than one hole, then those
technologies do not have the power keep your shared information
isolated. They, of course, will still make sure that at least one hole
is plugged, but they cannot help you with the others.

I think everyone unfamiliar with the tech (but using it) should know
this; we don't want to give false assurances that may lead people to
engage in more risky behaviors than they would have otherwise.

By means of example, suppose you share that:

1. you are "over 21" and your DID is "A" with "company1.com", and
2. you are a "US citizen" and your DID is "A" with "company2.com"

Clearly, should company1 and company2 elect to share your information,
then both will know that you are "over 21" and a "US citizen". Pairwise
DIDs would prevent this by breaking the common link of a single DID.

Instead, you'd use two different DIDs:

1. you are "over 21" and your DID is "A" with "company1.com", and
2. you are a "US citizen" and your DID is "B" with "company2.com"

Now "company1" and "company2" -- *on the basis of the DIDs* -- cannot
establish a common link. You may be two different people for all they know.

However, there may be other ways to establish a common link. IP
addresses, browser fingerprints, third party tracking cookies, or AI
analysis of Web surfing time/behavior are all examples of "side channel"
information that could reveal a common link.

Supposing we could eliminate these side channels, then there is a
possibility that other information that is explicitly shared can still
establish a common link. For example, if you shared:

1. you are "over 21", your email is "alice@example.com", and your DID is
"A" with "company1.com", and

2. you are a "US citizen", your email is "alice@example.com", and your
DID is 2 with "company2.com"

Then your email address provides a common link to enable companies that
share your information to aggregate data to build a single profile on
you. If this data must be exchanged, then only policy and law can help
mitigate this problem.

> The Sovrin protocol does not issue credentials to a DID, but rather to a
> DID holder. The credentials themselves may then be used across different
> DIDs.
> We like to think of DIDs as identifiers for relationships, while
> credentials represent qualities or attributes. The attributes help
> define a digital version of me; I can selectively share portions of that
> digital version among my relationships.

Below is just a general warning for our community (I'm not addressing
anyone in particular) and is for the benefit of others less familiar
with this technology:

What is stated here is true, given the caveats above. Systems like
Sovrin use a common "link secret" that is held privately by what is
referred to here as the "DID holder". This "link secret" is never
revealed through the use of "ZKPs". An issuer of a Verifiable Credential
can bind the credential to your "link secret" without you having to
reveal it -- and -- you can share proof that you possess that credential
and that the issuer signed off on it to *someone else* ... all while not
revealing the "link secret" to anyone. This requires a fair bit of fun
math, it works, and is very cool.

Users should be aware that if their software uses the same "link secret"
for all of their credentials that the loss of that link secret could be
catastrophic. It would mean that all credentials must be reissued (which
must be done carefully to avoid correlation) and that if that secret
were obtained by a malicious party then the knowledge that all
accessible information is linked to the same entity would be revealed.

Obviously the loss of a wallet full of credentials to a malicious party
is a problem whether it's a physical wallet, a wallet that doesn't use
ZKPs, or one that does. So some problems are not unique to software that
uses pairwise DIDs and ZKPs.

However, the damage may be greater for users that significantly change
their behavior because they believe a risk has been mitigated to a
degree that it has not been.

For example, users that have no knowledge of this sort of technology may
presently attempt to be as anonymous as possible. They may avoid
directly sharing any information with certain websites, especially on
handheld personal devices. Should they get the wrong idea about what
this technology can do, i.e. believing that with this new tech
*everything they share is unlinkable*, they may change this behavior in
ways that could *increase* their correlation risk and result in
significant harm.

I'm much more comfortable with telling people that this technology can
help make specific existing interactions more private and enable
specific new interactions that weren't possible before. In other words,
keep the scope of promises under control.

So, all of this is to say that this sort of technology can be used to
help solve certain use cases. But we need to be careful that the
enthusiasm for this technology does not lead people to believe it does
more than it can. I fully expect "but the technology doesn't stop other
correlation" to be an unacceptable response *after* a massive privacy
violation occurs. This could be damaging to the community as a whole.

I think the community should be clear about the scope of the benefits of
the technology and the pitfalls of using it in conjunction with existing
systems from the beginning. Let's be careful not to fall into the well
known "blockchain can solve every problem" trap that can arise from the
enthusiasm for any new technology. This community is working on valuable
tools but we need to make sure that people understand their limitations
and for which jobs they are appropriate.

--
Dave Longley
CTO