Re: "Decentralized Identifiers": Bitcoin Cargo-Culture and Land Grabbing for the Top Level Names

On 2018-04-09 9:02 AM, Jordan, John CITZ:EX wrote:
>For example, government
> (which I work for), underpins the economy by being the source of
> truth for identity (both persons and legal entities) and setting
> the ground rules (e.g. laws) for economic activity. Our incentives
> are quite different and not a source of revenue but an enabling
> prerequisite to a functioning economy. I would encourage the
> community to think broadly about this and recognize that we need to
> keep working at creating conditions which encourage the full
> participation of government in the establishment of digital trust
> for people and legal entities which, in my personal opinion, is
> strongly needed.

This is a wonderful ideal, that government is a source of truth and
laws in a way that will encourage the "establishment of digital
trust". Since you work in government, I'm happy that you're committed
to it. But IMO it's a big stretch to assume that government is
generally functioning like that in our world. There are many people of
all ages and types, including academics who have studied it, who
present evidence that there is something fundamentally mismatched
between that ideal and the current situation.

They describe a revolving door between upper levels of corporate
executives and upper levels of regulatory government; food and
pharmaceuticals are egregious examples. There are also vast arrays of
lobbyists and campaign contributions supported by the corporate rich
or by those who are independently wealthy. And so the laws enacted by
governments, in these and other areas, are fundamentally guided by
monied needs in ways that are destructive of general human health and
happiness. Corruption of this and other kinds is creeping to the
highest levels (Trump, Putin, and others). Fixing this political
problem has become an emergency.

Government will surely still be necessary in a DID/blockchain identity
based world, but guiding how the DID system is implemented to suit all
the current practices of government, many of which are unethical and
deceptive, might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm more hopeful that some of the things that are wrong with
government might be able to be corrected by DIDs, rather than the
effect going in the other direction.

Steven