Adam

From: Christopher Allen<mailto:ChristopherA@blockstream.com>
Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎September‎ ‎8‎, ‎2017 ‎6‎:‎34‎ ‎PM
To: Steven_Rowat<mailto:steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Cc: public-credentials@w3.org<mailto:public-credentials@w3.org>

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net<mailto:steven_rowat@sunshine.net>> wrote:
I looked into this for science publishing some time ago, and found that the DOI system requires fees, and as such is set up primarily for large organizations, not individuals.

Would you agree with this? And so it's appropriate for journalists working for larger organizations, but not for citizen journalists, individual bloggers, and so forth?

Fees would vary from different providers, and for yearly volume of publishing.
But, for example, a minimum yearly for the smallest-scale publisher at Crossref is $275, plus various other fees per document.

This problem with DOIs, and DOIs centralized nature, was actually one of the inspirations for DIDs.  This is one of the reasons why it is called a Decentralized IDENTIFIER (not identity). There is still a fee associated with registering a DID in a blockchain (which varies tremendously on which blockchain it is registered in and if DID registrations are bundled together in a merkle tree), but they are totally available to citizen journalists.

You can see some hints about this in a presentation I made about 3 years ago at http://slides.com/christophera/creativeworkinfo#/

Of particular interest to me in reviewing this old document is that facts are not instances, but trees, with the root being the oldest registration.

— Christopher Allen