Re: Removing owner from key info in DID Documents

I am for keeping owner. I think the only concerns raised on the BTCR side
were repetition (in owner and id values -- which is possibly more
pronounced in BTCR). However, I understand the concerns in removing it. I'd
rather be explicit and keep it.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:55 PM Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Standards don't care about philosophy, AFAIK. School of hard knocks n
> all.  IMHO therefore, better to ensure modalities are flexible / inclusive.
>
> On Tue., 17 Oct. 2017, 7:50 am Melvin Carvalho, <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16 October 2017 at 21:52, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
>> wrote:

>>> There were a few folks from the Bitcoin BTCR DID camp that asserted that
>>> you can assume who the key owner is if the key is listed in the DID
>>> Document, which I believe is true (without putting much thought into it).
>>>
>>> The downside, of course, is that not listing the key owner is
>>> incompatible with all the Linked Data Signature libraries. There are
>>> systems, such as HTTP URL-based ones, where you MUST provide the owner
>>> (to create the bi-directional link between the site that the key is
>>> published on and the site that hosts the triples for the owner of the
>>> key). A compromise would be to inject the owner before sending the key
>>> into the LDS libs, or to just be okay with a common format across all
>>> DID Documents.
>>>
>>> I suggested that the BTCR folks don't break from this pattern as it'll
>>> make BTCR-specific implementations more difficult with the only upside
>>> being the saving of a few tens of bytes of data.
>>>

>> If I've understood correctly.  There's possibly another advantage of
>> making it explicit, in that you can index the web of reputation more easily
>> without having to hard code assumptions into the indexer.
>>
>> This may lead to a nice searchable trust graph and search engine eco
>> system that grows over time.
>>

>>> -- manu
>>>
>>> --
>>> Manu Sporny (skype: msporny, twitter: manusporny, G+: +Manu Sporny)
>>> Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
>>> blog: Rebalancing How the Web is Built
>>> http://manu.sporny.org/2016/rebalancing/
>>>
>> --
Kim Hamilton Duffy
CTO & Principal Architect Learning Machine
Co-chair W3C Credentials Community Group
400 Main Street Building E19-732, Cambridge, MA 02139

kim@learningmachine.com | kimhd@mit.edu
425-652-0150 | LearningMachine.com