Re: Room for government DIDs?

I think th FIDO folks dealt with some of this year’s ago. If I recall, the
device has a certificate of some sort. The certificate does not identify
the specific device or user. Apple, I think, does the same thing.

Adrian

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:50 AM Markus Sabadello <markus@danubetech.com>
wrote:

> Yes! I was just about to reply in a similar way.
>
> You would have to prove that your DID was created in a secure way, in
> order to be acceptable for government and other "high assurance" use cases.
>
> Not sure however if current regulation (e.g. eIDAS in the E.U.) is
> compatible with this approach.
>
> Markus
> On 11/30/2017 11:02 AM, =Drummond Reed wrote:
>
> Markus, I agree with David: the argument that the government needs to
> create your key pairs is never going to fly with the crypto community
> (amongst others).
>
> But the decentralized solution, which I've been anticipating may be
> required for "high assurance DIDs", is a verifiable claim from a TPM or
> other trusted computing device that IT generated the key pair.
>
> =Drummond
>
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 1:42 AM, David Chadwick <D.W.Chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Markus
>>
>> what is the opinion of the knowledgeable person about keys created by
>> FIDO devices using software and hardware provided by mobile phone
>> providers? Will they be happy to accept these keys or not?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> David
>>
>> On 28/11/2017 21:38, Markus Sabadello wrote:
>> > I was made aware of a potential problem by someone who is very
>> > knowledgeable in E.U. national eID systems.
>> >
>> > There's a question of liability when you create you own key pair.
>> > If a government creates keys for you through a process they control,
>> > then they can guarantee that the key is created in a secure way.
>> > (At least that's the theory, the recently discovered weakness in 750,000
>> > Estonian identity cards is a different story).
>> >
>> > If you create your own key (for your DID), then perhaps you're using a
>> > bad random number generator.
>> > You may receive a few verifiable claims for your "bad" DID, but later
>> > your private key is broken and your identity stolen.
>> >
>> > Who is liable now? You, because you created a bad DID, or the issuer of
>> > the verifiable claim?
>> >
>> > A government would want to reduce potential liability as much as
>> > possible, and may not be willing to actually issue a verifiable claim
>> > for a DID that may be insecure.
>> >
>> > Markus

>> but

>> mentioned),
>> self"

>> interest
>> an

>> (e.g.
>> few

>> be

> --

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/