Re: Room for government DIDs?

On 2017-11-28 9:23 AM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> So you would model your natural, "self-sovereign" identity by creating
> DIDs, and you would model "legal identity" not by issuing new DIDs, but
> by issuing verifiable claims that make assertions about your DID.
>
> E.g. the government could issue claims for you about citizenship, date
> of birth, national identifier (such as the Peruvian DNI you mentioned),
> driver's license, and everything else that constitutes the "legal self"
> you are talking about.

+1 This seems so straightforward that I'd hope it can work everywhere.

But in case there are technical/political reasons why governments
might want to issue their own DID, could it be set up to be optional
-- so that both systems would work together?

I.e., some governments could set up their own, while others could
merely issue verifiable claims as you suggest?

Steven