W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > May 2017

Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2017-05-09

From: <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 15:46:34 -0400
Message-Id: <1494359194445.0.17757@zoe>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Matt Stone for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Verifiable Claims telecon are now available:

http://w3c.github.io/vctf/meetings/2017-05-09/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2017-05-09

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2017May/0004.html
Topics:
  1. Agenda Review and Introductions
  2. WG Document Handoff
  3. Joining the VCWG
  4. Reminder: this is last CG call at this time
  5. Open Mic / Community Group Next Steps
  6. CG and WG call next week
Action Items:
  1. burn to be the chair to work though the publishing process 
    with manu help
Organizer:
  Manu Sporny
Scribe:
  Matt Stone
Present:
  Matt Stone, Dan Burnett, Manu Sporny, Joe Andrieu, Christopher 
  Allen, Gregg Kellogg, Dave Longley, Adam Migus, Adam Lake, Rob 
  Trainer, Colleen Kennedy, Matthew Larson, David I. Lehn
Audio:
  http://w3c.github.io/vctf/meetings/2017-05-09/audio.ogg


Topic: Agenda Review and Introductions

Matt Stone is scribing.
Agenda, no change
New Members, none

Topic: WG Document Handoff

Dan Burnett: [1] Verifiable Claims Use Cases (CG Final Report) 
  https://opencreds.github.io/vc-use-cases/CGFR/2017-05-01/
Dan Burnett: [2] Verifiable Claims Data Model and Representations 
  (CG Final Report) 
  https://opencreds.github.io/vc-data-model/CGFR/2017-05-01/
Dan Burnett:  No response on the final documents
Manu Sporny:  Published the docuements via minutes last week.  we 
  have not objections to date
Manu Sporny:  Chairs could use the spec publishing link to 
  finalize
Manu Sporny: The Chairs will use the following link to publish 
  the FCGS: https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/spec/publish

ACTION: burn to be the chair to work though the publishing 
  process with manu help

Manu still planning to work w/ contributors to release the final 
  IPR

Topic: Joining the VCWG

Dan Burnett: Charter join link is here: 
  https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/charter.html
Dan Burnett:  Please join the Verifiable Claims Working Group if 
  you plan to participate.  This is required to get details for 
  dial-in etc.
Manu Sporny:  Calling out any particpants of this call who aren't 
  members.
Manu Sporny:  Colleen kennedy, matt larson, work with stonematt 
  to get on the WG
Joe Andrieu:  Just submitted the request
Manu Sporny:  If you aren't a member, there is an application for 
  "Invited experts" that the chairs will ultimately accept
Manu Sporny:  Expectation is that the invited expert has a 
  special skill that the group wants or needs
Dan Burnett: Invited expert page:  
  https://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html
Dan Burnett:  Other comments?
Crickets...

Topic: Reminder: this is last CG call at this time

Dan Burnett:  Next week the dial-in information will be 
  different.
Christopher Allen: Doesn't the email list change as well?
Manu Sporny: Yes, it does
Dan Burnett:  Chairs will send dialin info to the WG email group.
Manu Sporny: Old one stays around, though... for the CG to use.
Manu cries 1,000 tears as we transition over to WebEx.
Christopher Allen: -1 Uggh.
Gregg Kellogg: DCMI has moved from WebEx to Zoom.
Logging general discontent re: loss of IRC/SIP

Topic: Open Mic / Community Group Next Steps

WG chairs have completed tasks necessary to transistion.  handing 
  off to manu for Open Mic
Manu Sporny:  Use Open Mic to discus several items - first up New 
  Leadership
Manu Sporny:  Ack ChristopherA for raising his hand for 
  volunteering to be CG chair
Manu Sporny:  Have also chatting with Kim Hamilton with BlockCert 
  and Learning Machine - she's interested in co-chairing
Manu Sporny:  Kim not present today b/c at an event
Manu Sporny:  Have 2, this is an open call for chairs.  If we get 
  more than 3, we'll have to elect.  open call will stay active 
  through the week
Manu Sporny:  Unless others volunteer, new chairs will be 
  ChristopherA and Kim
Christopher Allen:  I'm enthusiastic about the broader problem - 
  particularly the discussion about "what is the broader problem?"
Manu Sporny:  Tackle scope last....
Manu Sporny:  Poll sent out last night about meeting times for CG
Manu Sporny:  General desire is to have CG call adjacent to WG 
  (before or after).
Manu Sporny: Poll to meeting times: 
  https://beta.doodle.com/poll/5nexmi56qqhnn25c
Manu Sporny:  Please complete the poll, if you have an opinion
Dan Burnett:  Suggest keeping WG time as is
Christopher Allen:  Both Kim and I prefer the later time
Matt Stone:  There wasnt' a vote option for "either works" - 
  should we add that?
Matt Stone:  Noticed a couple chose both, but, that's not 
  obvious...
Manu Sporny:  If it's even it's the chairs perogative
Manu Sporny:  Reminder that WG charter is datamodel and syntax - 
  NOT protocol
Manu Sporny:  There are those of us in CG that need protocol
Dave Longley: +1 As protocols and web browser APIs/polyfills and 
  so forth are out of scope for the WG ... we definitely want it in 
  scope for the CG.
Matt Stone: +1 For protocols
Christopher Allen:  Original CG charter - discuss, research, 
  prototype and test credential storage for the web....
Christopher Allen:  We should take advantage of what the CG can 
  to do publish reports, etc.
Christopher Allen:  What is selective disclosure... latest that 
  crypto community offerings, etc
Christopher Allen:  Incubate mechanisms to exchange claims
Christopher Allen:  If something matures, may submit it to WG for 
  consideration
Christopher Allen:  RWoT has DID work that doesn't have a home 
  right now.
Manu Sporny:  We've worked hard to create a technology funnel.  
  right now, have people working on bleeding edge at places like 
  RWoT some of which comes into the CG, build support for the work, 
  eventually matures to a WG
Manu Sporny:  Could see this work to continue for the next couple 
  of year
Manu Sporny:  Presume the next CG work becomes WG 2.0 - continue 
  the funnel.
Manu Sporny:  Also have a number of digital signature formats.  
  we're using them in implementations but WG isn't chartered to 
  ratify them
Manu Sporny:  Digital Bazaar believes DID is critical to portable 
  claims
Manu Sporny:  A detail of DID is that they kindof/sortof require 
  blockchain...  we'll need to bring blockchain into this 
  discussion more.
Christopher Allen:   I bring is clarity on security and crypto 
  aspects.  Kim is a coder, we need active working code.  would 
  like to see more prototypes, examples, etc
Christopher Allen: Me too.
Dave Longley:  Largely in agreement - would like some browser 
  poly-fill work done quickly - important for adoption
Christopher Allen: Poly-fill is also absolutey w3c
Joe Andrieu:  Like everthing that's been said.  i joined because 
  i want to give everyone on the planet a legal identity by 2030 - 
  wondering where this fits
Manu Sporny:  "It's in scope when people work on it"
Christopher Allen: +1 UN 16.9
Dave Longley: Another item related to protocol/polyfill: a query 
  language for asking for certain types of claims
Joe Andrieu:  Want to be sensitive to the pipeline
Dan Burnett: Yeah I thought one of the advantages of verifiable 
  claims was that we didn't have to require identity, only 
  identifiers
Christopher Allen:  Recognize there is political sensitivity 
  about this sort of language.  in our scope to communicate more 
  effectively about what we mean when we say identity
Manu Sporny:  Responding to JoeAndrieu - having pet issues is 
  fine.  especially when it results in a rich ecosystem of 
  capabilities
Manu Sporny:  There may not be a standard for UN 16.9, but we can 
  make technology that supports that
Adam Migus: +1 To manu's comment about making sure that the 
  charter and work *support* your pet idea as the best way to 
  ensure it's tackled
Manu Sporny:  Need to declare to what's NOT in scope.  Identity 
  (capital I) is not in scope - too esoteric...
Manu Sporny:  We can create technology to solve identity 
  problems, but we're not the Identity Working Group
Dave Longley: +1 Important to keep in mind w3c politics :)
Adam Migus: +1 To that too :-)
Dan Burnett: Yes, not just w3c.  The world disagrees on identity 
  as well
Manu Sporny:  Should review the CG group name.
Adam Migus: Yep!
Dan Burnett: Naming = bike shed topic ("what color should we 
  paint the bike shed?")
Manu Sporny:  As we recharter - it's inevitable that we want to 
  update name
Manu Sporny:  Name change may be difficult logistically
Gregg Kellogg:  Publishing documents often means the CG is 
  complete.
Dave Longley: Voip-vctf: 47f is Christopher Allen
Manu Sporny:  Logistically spinning down one group and spinning 
  up the next requires everyone to rejoin the new group.  loose 
  people that way
Dan Burnett: Yes, better to keep the existing group (and name, if 
  necessary) than try to start a new CG
Matt Stone: -1 To starting a new group
Dan Burnett: W3C doesn't care too much about naming of CGs
Dan Burnett: Only WGs
Dave Longley:  Probably not worth replacing the group w/ the same 
  people working on generally the same issues isn't worth it

Topic: CG and WG call next week

Dan Burnett:  We'll announce times this Friday. chairs of WG 
  still intend to be involved in the CG. WG call is 11am ET on 
  Tuesday
Dan Burnett:  Thanks to manu for work to date
Dan Burnett:  Adjourn.
Received on Tuesday, 9 May 2017 19:47:03 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 11 July 2018 21:19:37 UTC