Re: Terminology poll (updated)

On 2017-06-26 9:27 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> * The number of options for ROLE_C has become so large that it will
>    most likely lead to bad polling results. I suggest that we start
>    aggressively culling the ROLE_C list before the vote starts
>    tomorrow. We should get some strong arguments against roles that you
>    feel should not be in the running.

Here's my attempt to cull new Role C (the Holder/Presenter/... list) :

-1 PROVER
This seems in the wrong role. IMO it's closer to what role D does by
checking the claim.
Or even Role B, who checked various facts before issuing the claim. I
can't see it fitting in what Holder/Presenter does.

-1 SUBJECT [for role C only]
The point behind having a split role is that there will be cases where
it's necessary to distinguish. If Subject is already used in Role A,
then it doesn't make sense to me to have it as an option in role C. If
I'm acting on my dog's behalf, we can't both be the Subject.

-1 MEDIATOR
I find this too non-specific, possibly confusing. I believe the word
should have some meaning relative to the role, and 'mediates the
claim' seems too vague.

-1 SHARER
IMO it seems to imply a specific role of 'distributing' the claim.
Maybe this is just baggage from other OS uses in my case, but I
wouldn't mind if it was removed from the list.

? CLAIMANT
This word seems the best and the worst, sadly. :-)
I understand D Longley's arguments that because VC is already set up
for 'claims' being made by the Issuer (Role B), then this would
confuse which role was the Claimant. That seems a valid argument. So I
could live with Claimant being removed.

However, I also don't think Claimant should be moved to Role B
('Issuer' list), which has just been suggested by David Booth in this
thread, because in actual use the 'Holder/Presenter' will be taking
this action -- 'claiming' something, using their claim as evidence --
and so it could be confused with their role still. So IMO it should be
completely removed. Unless somebody has other arguments. :-)

  Steven