Re: "Identity"

From: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@blockstream.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 23:05:03 -0700
To: Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>, Joe Andrieu <joe@andrieu.net>
I recommend people interested in this topic take a look at the white paper
that Joe Andrieu led on the topic “Identity Crisis: Clearer Identity
through Correlation”.
https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/ID2020DesignWorkshop/blob/master/final-documents/identity-crisis.pdf

"We propose using “correlation” instead of “identity” when discussing
concrete identities in identity systems. It isn’t a word-for-word
replacement, but using it will improve the conversation. We argue that
“correlation” provides a more concise and clear understanding of how
identity is created and applied in both digital and real-world systems, and
that using it as an alternative to “identity” will improve communication
and understanding.”

I found the concept moved my thoughts in some significant ways. As a
long-time digital privacy advocate (almost 30 years!) I’ve always fought
for anti-correlation. But Joe’s articulation of the concept of “Correlation
as Identity” has made me realize that without correlation then identity
systems are useless. So correlation must be a spectrum, undesirable at
either extreme, but needing some balance, albeit on the human and humane
side of equation.

— Christopher Allen