Re: Worldview conflicts on the purpose of DID documents

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman@evernym.com
> wrote:

> How is this difference in worldviews leading to specific difficulties?

Daniel, so far my sense is that the biggest difficulty the difference in
worldviews has been leading to is *key management* and *key description*.

With regard to key management, in the RDF/JSON-LD worldview (or what Manu
calls the "Graph-based Data Model with an Open World Assumption"
worldview), key management and description is secondary to authentication.
As Dave has said, authentication is the first priority, and as Joe
explains, there are other ways to do authentication, so cryptographic keys
are just one type of "authentication material".

In the agent worldview, key management and key description is paramount
since that's what agents use to form cryptographic trust for all types of
interactions. Authentication is just one usage of cryptographic trust. DID
documents can be used to share the "public" parts of many different
types of cryptographic
keys (see Table 1 on page 31 of NIST 800-130
<http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-130.pdf> or
sections 4.2 and 4.3 of RFC 7517
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7517#section-4.3>), so providing this
aspect of key management is a high priority.

With regard to key description, in the "Graph-based Data Model with an Open
World Assumption" worldview, the ideal (as I understand it) would be to
describe each key using an RDF graph based on an ontology for key
description.

In the agent worldview, the goal would be to keep each key description as
simple and universal as possible. Thus the "hardening" proposal of using
just three standard properties—id, type, and value— to describe any key.
The type value is a URI (or JSON-LD name) that represents a unique (and
hopefully recommended) combination of all properties of a key together with
the purpose or usage for which it is designed.

I hope this helps. The discussion has already been helpful to me. I'd like
to reply to Markus', Joe's, and Manu's replies but must get sleep now to be
ready for the next DID Spec Closure call at 10AM PT tomorrow. For anyone
who is interested, we'll continue the discussion live there.

=Drummond