Re: First draft of Linked Data Capabilities available

On 2017-12-09 10:52 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
> 2. Say I want to give my class of 100 students access to my research
> lab. Using the scheme as outlined in your draft, I would presumably have
> to issue 100 proclamations with a subject of MyLab, and know the keys of
> all my students. In my prior research using RBAC and X.509 ACs, I would
> instead (using your language) create a single proclamation where the
> authority to access MyLab was not granted to a key, but rather to a role
> (e.g. MyStudent role). Any person who can then present two capabilities,
> namely one for access to MyLab, and the other containing the MyStudent
> role, would be granted access to my lab. I leave the issuing of
> MyStudent role capabilities to my administration, as they know which
> students enrol for my course and which dont. Other capability creators
> can similarly give rights to MyStudents by issuing single capabilities.
> I believe this is a far more powerful and flexible model than simply
> issuing capabilities to keys. (In the same way that RBAC is superior to
> ACLs.)

Interesting example.

I've been envisioning a publishing use of the DID system that might
have the parallel problem, although I'm not sure. Perhaps someone can
comment.

My example:
Say a publisher is putting out all of Author X's works (a playwright),
and:

   -- Some people need access to all the plays of Author X.
   -- Some people need access only to the "To be or not to be,..."
speech in one of the plays of Author X.
   -- Some people need access to a whole group of individual quotes
across Author X's works.
   -- Some people need access to individual Acts within the Author X
plays.
etc.

Perhaps this is a different problem, but if it's the same problem as
David describes, I'm  in favour of having roles that can re-use a
certain access key rather than having all different keys for each
single instance.

In other words, I'm hoping this publisher will be able to use DID to
offer 350 quotes from the works Author X (or, to extend it, Author X,
Y and Z together) as a single access, rather than 350 different key
instances.

?

Steven