R: Room for government DIDs?

Hi,

As far as I know EU regulation is not that specific on the generation of the key pair for electronic ID.

The normative reference is technologically neutral, see

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32015R1502&from=IT,   annex 2.2

There are analysis suggesting that FIDO can be used to some extent, e.g.

http://referaat.cs.utwente.nl/conference/26/paper/7611/authentication-assurance-of-biometric-authentication-protocols-on-mobile-devices.pdf

The situation is quite different for “qualified electronic SIGNATURE” (which has a completely different status).

In that case, the CA issuing certificates must verify, among other things, that private keys are stored in an appropriate device.

See http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014R0910&from=EN  article 29.

Best,

--luca