Re: Close to final Credentials CG Mission — need to add phrase on “long-term” credentials

Hi Kim

On 11/08/2017 03:54, Kim Hamilton Duffy wrote:
> Hi David,
> The final proposed paragraph is on the very last page of the google doc.

thanks, I must have missed it last time

> I looked at your comment and I'm not sure where it would fit into the
> current draft, which is significantly shortened. We're not listing types
> of credentials/claims (as in the context where your comment appeared).
> Please have a look and add your comment if you think the current draft
> needs to call out group membership.

I agree that it is no longer needed.

> Some questions:
> 1. Bearer credentials: what are some positive disadvantages?

they can be stolen, copied and used by anyone who gets a copy of them.

> It's
> possible we picked a bad phrase here. Our intent was to emphasize that
> the approaches enable recipient consent/empowerment

the new phrase is much better.

> 2. About longevity: I agree it's extremely challenging. The goal here is
> to emphasize that the approaches we are considering get us closer to
> that goal (e.g. blockchain), but brushes over many details and caveats.

there is already a whole lot of research about the longevity of
digitally signed documents that should remain valid long after the
original crypto is broken or the issuer no longer exists. So I don't
think we want to stray into that topic in the VC work.

> To expand on that, we wanted the mission statement to be brief, and
> sometimes we erred on the side of being more aspirational than exact. We
> could probably avoid this tradeoff with more iterations, but I think
> many are wanting to wrap this up and switch to (at least) a better
> mission statement than what we currently have.
>
> For that reason, I'd be fine dropping my request to work in "longevity"
> because that could be also viewed as a factor in enabling
> recipient-centric credentials (at least in some scenarios...I encounter
> this in EDU very frequently).

I have added a comment that user control (aka user centric) is missing
from the current mission statement and should be included

regards

David