Re: Blockchain Standardization (was Re: PR for playground)

We're using WebFinger to dereference an email address into a URI for either
a DID or an UMA Authorization Server. Either one could be self-sovereign.

Not sure it's a good solution, but it's all we've got.

Adrian

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 9:34 PM Mountie Lee <mountie@paygate.net> wrote:

> I think we need to collect existing references
> - Web Payments Payment Method Identifiers (
> https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-method-id/ )
> - Email Identifiers ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4.1 )
> - Docker Image Identifiers [registry_hostname[:port]/][user_name/](
> repository_name[:version_tag] | image_id )
>
> and have to set some policies to get consensus (followings are my
> suggestion)
> - decouple the id from domain or specific protocol (like HTTP)
> - human readable and writable
> - no central repository
>

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 2 April 2017 at 12:24, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 2 April 2017 at 20:29, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 2 April 2017 at 04:19, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On 2 April 2017 at 04:19, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> bcc: Credentials CG
> cc: Blockchain CG
>
> Migrating this thread to the Blockchain CG mailing list as it's become
> more blockchain-y, than web payments-y or verifiable claim-y.
>
> For those that didn't see the start of this thread, it is here:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2017Mar/0023.html
>
> On 03/31/2017 11:25 PM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
>
> I am interested to hear from those of you involved what the goals of
> these [Blockchain Standardization] initiatives are?
>

> I think the goals are different between the standards bodies, and
> personally, I find it very difficult to track everything going on at the
> moment as things are still very dynamic.
>

> So it's not just me!
>

> What are you trying to standardize?
>

> I've heard at least these answers to that question:
>
> * governance for each blockchain
> * decentralized identifiers
>

> I think we have to standardize decentralized identifiers, as everything
> else is built on that.
>
> +1
>
> I feel like a lot of the technical standardization work is riding the
> blockchain hype. It's big "S" standardization just for the sake of
> standards bodies not wanting to miss the boat.
>
> Somebody please tell me what an ISO technical committee is going to
> standardize wrt DLT and Blockchain. The ISO process is way too slow to be
> effective in such a fast developing area.
>
> IMO technical standardization it will be ineffective until it has a
> focused use case (like DIDs). Part of the reason Interledger has been
> successful is that it's not trying to standardize something broad like DLT
> it's focused on value transfer.
>

> We've been stuck on this topic for 10 years as everyone has their pet
> favorite identity system.
>
> What is needed is a system that will interoperate, and we should
> [...]

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/