Re: RWW like Implementations of IoT device management (via WoT)

Hi Tim,

well, Rome wasn't built in a day. Usually you don't have access to the
firmware of IoT devices. As you said, current devices are in the range
from "pay a monthly subscription for the cloud service & app" over
"there is a HTTP API on your gateway at home" to "the device implements
protocol xy".

So how do we get from the current situation to "RWW-ready" open
firmwares and gatways?

1. Implement RWW gateways and generic UI

We can bridge different protocols and also wrap HTTP APIs to clean
Linked Data APIs. This is mainly a software task, so we are very
flexible, which is very useful to test concepts. The gateway can also
host a generic HTML interface.

2. Implement Linux RWW devices

There are already many Linked Data libraries for Linux. The Raspberry Pi
is already used for some IoT projects. It should be easy to use the
experience gained from implementing the RWW gateways to make the IoT
projects "RWW-enabled"

3. Implement Arduino RWW devices

The Raspberry Pi isn't the best option for battery powered projects. The
Arduino platform is a better choice for this use case. There are already
many IoT projects, but we need better RWW libraries.

I'm trying to cover 1. and 2. with Dark Horse and 3. with SmallRDF and
SmallHydra.

But for most use cases there will be a need for a gateway:

1. Caching

If an action of one device depends on the status of another device and
each device must fetch the WebID profile, an action will take a lot of
time just to fetch the resources. The number of devices will increase
and also the rules & dependencies will get bigger.

2. Manage access control

In your AirBnB example, generic rules could be used to grant access to
all linked devices of the property. These rules would also apply for new
devices. Also think of the increasing number of devices and how to
manage them.

3. Bandwidth and power

WiFi consumes to much power for battery powered devices. Alternatives
like LoRaWAN must be used, but they have very limited bandwidth. Sending
packets consumes power, therefore traffic should be reduced to the bare
minimum.

There is already CoAP [1], which can be translated to HTTP, to reduce
the traffic. But we also need a binary format for triples. EXI could be
used, but I think RDF/XML is the wrong way. HDT [2] without the header
and with quad support could be a solution.

bergi

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrained_Application_Protocol
[2] http://www.rdfhdt.org/hdt-internals/