Re: Expiry time in Data Model

I didn't completely follow the details of the thread since my last
contribution on Friday, but... I think an evolution occurred.  The thread
seemed to evolve to a discussion about claims expiring due to crypto
weakness.

I wasn't considering crypto weakness as a driver for this requirement.

When I brought up the question, I was channeling several of our customers
who have policies mandating the frequency for "re-"validating a credential.
In fact they've resisted electronic verification because there's no current
way to force this practice.  Their thinking is "don't assume a credential
that was confirmed last month, with a scheduled expiration date of next
year is still valid" - it's not very different than a credit card--I have
one in my wallet w/ a 10/2020 expiration, but I'm confident it will be
replaced before then.

In the professional space where licenses = higher pay, people cheat and
commit fraud.  Issuers demand that claims are verified frequently. Issuers
are the only organizations with the data and insight (and perhaps
motivation) to manage this time to live concept as a way to protect the
veracity of the credential in the marketplace and our protocol for
verification must support compliance with this concept.

Oh yeah - +1 to Nate for the comment about historians :) - totally agree.

-stone

=====
Matt Stone
501-291-1599