Re: Alternative terminology for "consumer"

Right, but the entity using the claim does not verify, authenticate, or approve the claim--they use it for some process or purpose and the purpose is a gatekeeper function. I think gatekeeper, especially when pared with function, has drifted from a military context and it's a fairly unique phrase without any generic synonyms except the pretty obscure "ostiary." I have no firm position or dog in this discussion, licensed or otherwise holding any dog credentials, just thinking.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 11:57 AM, Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/31/2016 11:28 AM, Varn, Richard J wrote:
>> I had one additional thought about the consumer of claims. It
>> strikes me that the role they are actually playing is gatekeeper. I
>> got to this after thinking about the various processes in which
>> claims are used and the reason that someone wants your claim/s is to
>> evaluate it/them in a context. If the evaluation finds the claims
>> and attendant and other sources of evidence sufficient, you get a
>> chance at an opportunity, access to something, a permission, a
>> benefit, and so on. I am not sure gatekeeper is the best word but
>> wanted to share the line of thinking and see how it may help.
>
> I've had a similar thought, (with terms like "gatekeeper", "guard",
> "sentinel", etc.) but felt it seemed those terms or many like it had too
> many negative or militaristic connotations. That concept is where the
> friendlier "approver" term came from. "Verifier" and "authenticator" are
> in a similar vein.
>

> --
> Dave Longley
> CTO