Re: Comments on draft charter [Was: Agenda: Verifiable Claims Teleconference - Tuesday, March 8th 2016]

On 03/10/2016 06:11 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
>  " • Enhancing website usability by removing the need to manually enter
> verifiable claims.
>  "  •  Reducing online fraud, such as identity theft, by establishing a
> standard way to cryptographically verify 3rd party claims.
>  "  •  Reduced operating costs for verifiable claim issuers and
> inspectors as a result of a common set of technology for expressing and
> verifying claims.
>  "  • Enhancing some aspects privacy and unlinkability for the subject
> of a verifiable claim."
>
> Again, these are agnostic about who uses them. But if they're to be
> developed by a body -- like the W3C -- which gets its funding largely
> from institutions and companies, there is potential for them to be
> developed in such a way that they are achieved but the 'ultimate' goal
> is the maintenance of the status quo.
>
> So again, if they are to be treated as "ultimate" goals, and to reflect
> what those in the Community Group who developed them is interested in, I
> suggest adding:
>
>  "The Credentials standard will, to the extent currently technically
> feasible, level the playing field for Credentials so that small actors
> or individuals can make use of the emerging Credentials technology on
> the same basis as larger corporations, government, or institutions,
> without undue or unnecessary barriers."

Done (with minor modifications to the language).

https://github.com/w3c/webpayments-ig/commit/88351072555b22f7179002771e311d24b657828c

blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/