Re: Verifiable Claims Terminology - votes are in

On 20 June 2016 at 02:43, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 06/19/2016 06:50 PM, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> > Claim - aka verifiable claim - a signed statement by an entity about
> >  another entity (or itself) Entity Credential -- A collection of
> > claims (per the charter) Identity Profile -- A collection of
> > credentials (per the terminology poll)
>
> The great thing about voting is that everyone gets to participate.
>
> The bad thing about voting is that sometimes the outcome of the votes
> are a bit wonky.
>
> In this case, the group decided on Entity Credential and Identity Profile.
>
> >From an editorial (and marketing) standpoint, these choices are strange.
>
> We should have picked either:
>
> 1. Entity Credential and Entity Profile, OR
> 2. Identity Credential and Identity Profile
>
> A "X Credential" contains a set of claims from the same issuer.
> A "X Profile" contains a set of "X Credential"s (not necessarily from
> the same Issuer).
>
> The latter contains the former, so it's strange that we chose different
> names when the thing they're describing is the same type of thing.
>
> We don't have to revisit this anytime in the next month or so, but I'm
> just raising this to see if anyone else felt this cognitive dissonance
> when they saw the results of the poll.

Firstly I was never huge on the term "Relying Party" and over the years it
didnt grow on me, so Im happy for there to be a fresh idea here.

+1 that it would be helpful the noun (entity|identity)  be aligned across
the two, unless there's strong resistance.

I think (2) reflects the general voting.

FWIW: I didnt vote in this poll, but if I did, I'd go for Identity profile
+ Identity Credential.