Re: self-sovereign terminology (was Re: New revision of Verifiable Claims Architecture summary)

good evening;

> On 2016-06-14, at 16:03, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/14/2016 03:55 AM, james anderson wrote:
>> yes, why is “self-sovereign” a more appropriate term than
>> “sovereign”?
>
> Background reading on the "self-sovereign" term:
>
> http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2016/04/the-path-to-self-soverereign-identity.html

the chain of documents which issue from this location, some of which i had encountered during my review prior to my earlier note, suffer from the deficiency, that they treat “sovereignty” and “self-sovereignty” as if they were the same thing.
on one hand, were they the same thing, the “self-“ qualifier would not be necessary and could be neglected.
on the other hand, as they are not - at least if their etymology carries any weight, the author should not have skipped from “user-centric” to “self-sovereign” without accounting for the “sovereign”.

best regards, from berlin
---
james anderson | james@dydra.com | http://dydra.com