Re: Definition of claim

> On 13 Jun 2016, at 02:19, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/12/2016 04:32 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
>> I believe the latest definition of claim in the architecture
>> document
>>
>> http://w3c.github.io/webpayments-ig/VCTF/architecture/
>>
>> is fundamentally wrong. It says
>>
>> Claim A statement made by an entity about a subject. For example:
>> "Jane is a doctor."
>>
>> The example is not one claim, but two claims. It claims that the
>> subject is a doctor and that the subject is called Jane. We should
>> rewrite this to say
>
> Hmm, not what I was going for... I was trying to avoid talking about
> subject identifiers by just using "Jane" as the subject identifier.

With a bit of Turtle (N3 actually is going to be more useful in this
discussion as it allows one to make statements about graphs) this would
be clear. I think Manu means  the graph

{ :Jane a :Doctor . }

which could for that matter also be

{ :x a :Doctor . }

but not

{ :x a Doctor ;
     :name "Jane" } .

(Btw. the { } notation makes it much clearer than JSON-LD, RDF/XML
or other serialisation can since those do not have a specific
syntax for quotation)

>> Claim A statement made by an entity about a holder.
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't accurate. Claims are made about subjects,
> where the subject is the holder in the vast majority of cases. The
> subject may not be the holder (for example, you holding on to a claim
> made by a veterinarian about your pet).
>
> We could reword to:
>
> Claim: A statement made by an Issuer about a Subject. For example,
>  "A hospital (Issuer) says that Jane (Subject) is
>   a doctor (the claim)."

Why not just:

 Claim: A statement made by an Issuer

The reason I am asking is because what about when two people marry?

:FriarTuck claims { :jane marriedTo :john . }

Now the subject could be :jane or :john . But does it really matter?
Either could present the claim, but so could a third party too, eg
someone working in a registry could use that claim to write a third
statement  e.g. one about both living at a certain address.

Anyway, just a question.

Henry