Re: Problem statement

Personally I can only read this one way, both semantically and
grammatically.

I do not read it as an "independent standard for applications", and to
be grammatically correct this would surely be "application's independent
standard" or "applications' independent standard", just as a hat for
boys would be a boy's hat.

regards

David