Self-sovereign identity and payments (was Re: WebCrypto - In "progress" since 2012)

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 09:39:56 -0400
Cc: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
To: W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
On 04/30/2016 09:17 AM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
> how can we universally agree on the problem about 'human' as to
> supports the spirits of law, humility, shared values, human rights
> and all such things as to bring us together in a manner that says we
>  are flesh not tools.

Christopher Allen (co-editor of TLS and organizer for the Rebooting Web
of Trust Workshops) has written a thought provoking piece on
self-sovereign identity:

http://www.lifewithalacrity.com/2016/04/the-path-to-self-soverereign-identity.html

... which got a fair bit of focus at the Internet Identity Workshop last
week.

He wrote it also in preparation for the United Nations ID2020 event:

http://id2020summit.org/

and the second Rebooting Web of Trust workshop:

http://www.weboftrust.info/

While I don't think we'll ever universally agree on the items you list
above before trying to solve a subset of them, all of the initiatives
listed above are working toward some of the things that you want to see,
Tim.

-- manu

PS: While the Web Payments CG is cc'd on this email, I suggest we drop
that mailing list if this goes down an "identity" path.

JSON-LD Best Practice: Context Caching
https://manu.sporny.org/2016/json-ld-context-caching/