W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > October 2015

Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2015-10-06

From: <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:06:11 -0400
Message-Id: <1444147571936.0.19219@zoe>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Brian Sletten and Dave Longley for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:

http://opencreds.org/minutes/2015-10-06/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Credentials Community Group Telecon Minutes for 2015-10-06

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Oct/0000.html
Topics:
  1. Current state of Credentials Survey
  2. Survey Outreach
  3. Upcoming Demos
  4. Lumina Meeting Review
Organizer:
  Manu Sporny
Scribe:
  Brian Sletten and Dave Longley
Present:
  Brian Sletten, Manu Sporny, Nate Otto, Matt Stone, Richard Varn, 
  Dave Longley, John Tibbetts, Rob Trainer, Eric Korb, David I. 
  Lehn, Laura Fowler
Audio:
  http://opencreds.org/minutes/2015-10-06/audio.ogg

Brian Sletten is scribing.
Manu Sporny:  Short call today. We're just reviewing the survey. 
  Talking about outreach and do some demos next week.

Topic: Current state of Credentials Survey

Manu Sporny: 
  http://manu.sporny.org/tmp/2015-10-05-Compelling-Credential-Use-Cases.html
Manu Sporny:  We have reached out to 50-60 organizations. We have 
  gotten responses back from 28 of them so far. Not fantastic, but 
  not terrible. The Credentials folks have gotten the highest 
  response rate compared to the rest of the web payments groups. 
  We'd like to get 40 though.
Manu Sporny:  I have tried to blind a lot of the information here 
  so that when organizations talk about themselves. The Use Cases 
  are generic enough so you can't tell who submitted them.
Nate Otto: Switched computers... sip trouble, pardon my 
  connect/disconnect
Manu Sporny:  Does anyone have any questions about the data or 
  what the survey is trying to do?
Manu Sporny:  We have education, two health care organizations 
  and a number of financial services companies.
Manu Sporny:  We wanted good representation from three 
  industries. There is more to do, but we are good on this breadth.
Manu Sporny:  The first few questions have good answers. Not 
  surprising. Good to have them documented.
Manu Sporny:  We will share the data with W3C members, but not 
  with others.
Manu Sporny:  On question 7, we asked what kind of credentialing 
  capabilities does the organization this are valuable (issuing, 
  requesting, verifying, storing...)
Manu Sporny:  We are above 75% for every feature mentioned except 
  storing them which is 61%.
Manu Sporny:  Any questions on the feedback for 7?
Matt Stone:  What were the items in 'Other'?
Manu Sporny:  Let me look at the live data... I have to go 
  through every single line item here. I'm not seeing anything pop 
  out now. One of them was 'embedding business rules' in the 
  credentials themselves. Not sure what that means. Where it can be 
  used, who is allowed to receive it. Another one was a uniform 
  description of credentials for comparison purposes.
Matt Stone:  I think that idea would be managed in the vertical.
Matt Stone:  If we're trying to say a security credential in one 
  industry is comparable to another one is a good next step.
Manu Sporny:  I think Badge Alliance is doing some of that.
Nate Otto: Yep, BA wants to have our niche be to define what 
  types of fields are defined for educational credentials
Manu Sporny:  The last one is a misunderstanding of what was 
  being asked. They were asked to choose one thing to focus on. 
  Another was "I don't know" for 'Other'.
Manu Sporny:  Any other questions?
Manu Sporny:  Question 8 then is what do you use today to achieve 
  your credentialing needs. The responses were low here. Now that 
  we know that 'Other' isn't very well represented here, we'll try 
  to get it sorted in the final data set.
Manu Sporny:  The reason this was in the questionnaire is the 
  certain parties were asserting that all of the technologies exist 
  but people don't know about them. These answers were good. They 
  show that these companies know about SAML, OpenID Connect, OAuth, 
  etc. but they still don't think they solve all of the problems. 
  There was a single respondent who said these things solved their 
  own home-grown solution but admitted it wasn't a sta
Manu Sporny:  Many of these organizations indicated that some of 
  their needs were met by SAML and OpenID but certainly none of the 
  advanced use cases.
Manu Sporny:  The most used technology for transmitting 
  credentials is email and downloading PDFs.
Manu Sporny:  There's mixed news here, there were a number of 
  organizations who responded "I Don't Know" if these technologies 
  answered their credential needs. A number of these answers during 
  follow up indicated that they weren't solved problems in their 
  organizations.
Manu Sporny:  Question 10 was "What are the limitations of 
  current solutions?" Verification is too complicated, there is no 
  context around the identity or the credentials. They are fragile, 
  hard to create, lack longevity. Organizational information isn't 
  there. Cloud-based solutions won't work for perimeter-based 
  security in place inside Don't work in open ecosystems. They are 
  not user controlled. The list goes on.
Manu Sporny:  It's a great list.
Manu Sporny:  The final question was if they would participate in 
  a W3C effort to standardize credentials. Many said they aren't 
  staffed to support standards work if they weren't already 
  members. They supported it, but many don't have staff.

Topic: Survey Outreach

Manu Sporny:  We are at 29 responses. Another came in while we 
  were on the call. I am putting together the data for next week. 
  It is due on Monday. Please reach out to anyone if you know they 
  haven't responded.
Manu Sporny:  Any other questions?

Topic: Upcoming Demos

Manu Sporny:  We're hoping to get some public demos out to show 
  the workflow.
Manu Sporny:  We're going to focusing on payments, drivers 
  license, passport, etc. We're hoping to have some educational 
  ones.

Topic: Lumina Meeting Review

Richard Varn:  It was a good meeting. We were able to get 
  Parchment, ETS, and a few others to suggest support of the W3C 
  work. That was one of the outcomes, so that was good. [scribe 
  assist by Manu Sporny]
Dave Longley is scribing.
Richard Varn:  The other person that talked to me afterwards, 
  mostly about machine readable and machine-automated stuff. I had 
  one person to follow up with and we should figure out how to 
  respond to him.
Richard Varn:  I think the interests of our group were 
  represented well.
Nate Otto: I've got an additional contact at New America if you'd 
  like
Nate Otto: Though the one you have is the right person to talk to
Manu Sporny:  Were there any thought leaders that seemed like 
  they were pretty far ahead that we're not collaborating with 
  already?
Richard Varn:  Technologically, no. There were a lot of people 
  from various business areas, users, producers, aggregators, 
  vendors, etc. Good collection of smart people who want to see 
  credentials work for a variety of purposes. Not a lot of tech 
  people though, no.
Manu Sporny:  I don't know if you have an email list, but it 
  would be good to reach out to them and put together their use 
  cases. If we've got 108 initiatives clearly they've got use cases 
  behind them... getting them to fill out the survey would be an 
  easy thing we can do while we wait for a WG to get started at 
  W3C.
Richard Varn:  They did give us an attendees list which I can 
  forward to you.
Manu Sporny:  Great.
Richard Varn:  I can forward the landscape survey as well.
Richard Varn:  By the volume alone that can be presented to W3C 
  whether or not they are already at the table.
Richard Varn:  I didn't get participant names from this but you 
  can see who is there.
Manu Sporny:  Are there people's names or just orgs?
Richard Varn:  No names, unfortunately.
Manu Sporny:  It would be good to figure out if we can get a 
  contact list or something like that.
Richard Varn:  I think if we're going to reach out to them they 
  can shepherd a response .. .we can send the survey to them and 
  they can send it out to all attendees.
Manu Sporny:  Do you have the person we need to send that to?
Richard Varn:  I'll get the person's name leading the 
  discussion/running the meetings.
Richard Varn:  Ok, I'll have to dig it up.
Manu Sporny:  Yeah, if you can send it to me that would be great.
Richard Varn:  I do have a contact list in paper form, I'll scan 
  this to you.
Manu Sporny:  I think you're right, contacting the Lumina 
  Foundation and having them send out the request would be the best 
  approach.
Richard Varn:  I'll get this to you.
Manu Sporny:  Thanks again for doing all that, Richard. Anything 
  else on the Lumina Foundation?
Nothing
Manu Sporny:  We'll try to get around to doing demos next week. I 
  expect that will trigger more technical related discussion next 
  week.
Manu Sporny:  We'll likely skim it at the surface level.
Received on Tuesday, 6 October 2015 16:06:37 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 11 July 2018 21:19:25 UTC