Re: Solutions to the NASCAR problem?

From: Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:22:40 -0500
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Joerg.Heuer@telekom.de
Cc: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>, W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, public-webid <public-webid@w3.org>
On 11/23/2015 12:10 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 23 November 2015 at 18:02, <Joerg.Heuer@telekom.de
> <mailto:Joerg.Heuer@telekom.de>> wrote:
>
> Hi again!
>
> FIDO doesn't do identity management, but authentication, as was
> already stated. To that matter FIDO, as it is, does not explicitly
> support free assignments of AuthN tokens (or even token generators)
> to one or multiple identities.
>

> You cant do authentication effectively without identification.
> Because you have to authenticate *something*.

I think, with FIDO, you are simply authenticating an endpoint. In fact
*something* is all it is. Essentially, you can think of it as: you are
talking to *something*, no one else has tampered with what *something*
has had to say, and it's the same *something* you talked with yesterday.

Identity Credentials are about adding more verifiable attributes to that
*something*. So the Credentials CG work is a layer above FIDO.

--
Dave Longley
CTO