Re: Solutions to the NASCAR problem?

On 11/23/15 7:02 AM, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:

>> On 23 Nov 2015, at 14:41, Steven Rowat
>> <steven_rowat@sunshine.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/23/15 3:01 AM, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:
>>>
>> Some published rationales (ie, by Van Jacobson, who is now
>> working at PARC) [5,6] made the assertion that the problems of
>> ineffective web publishing and money transfer and security and
>> scalability would remain essentially insoluble until a CCN or NDN
>> system is implemented throughout the Internet.
>
> It is good that people are researching that. When it is stable, and
> our work is stable it will be very interesting to integrate that
> too.

At risk of over-simplifying, I find I'm still intrigued by how
WebAccessControl and the CCN/NDN are related.

I remember a description, I think by Jacobson -- though he may not
have been the first to say this -- that the Internet is really nothing
more than a huge copying machine: it copies bits.

The questions for all of us, IMO, then resolve to two:

1. How are the bits copied most efficiently (in money, electricity,
bandwidth, or any other numerical measure.)

2. Who decides which bits can be copied by who (with subsets of when,
where, how many times, etc.)

I see that WebAccessControl is addressing #2, and doing so by naming a
package of bits (a 'resource').

I see that CCN/NDN is addressing #2 and #1 both: it names a package of
bits, and then provides a ledger system similar to Bitcoin, in which
each node can copy the package.

According to this analysis (admittedly simplified, but maybe useful in
some way), the "integration" of WebAccessControl with CCN/NDN would
require that the package of bits identified by WAC be allowed to be
recopied by nodes throughout the Internet by some ledger system that
is understood by the CCN ledger system.

Since CCN is working on both parts -- the naming of the package and
the copying nodes -- it's hard for me to see how the two systems could
be integrated without a huge overlap and waste of effort somewhere,
unless there's a detailed cross-fertilisation of the creators of the
two systems.

But possibly that's too pessimistic. Maybe all that will be required
will be a simple translator of the name of one kind of package into
the name of the other kind of package. :-)

Steven Rowat