Re: Solutions to the NASCAR problem?

On 11/22/2015 11:28 AM, David Chadwick wrote:

> On 22/11/2015 15:25, Dave Longley wrote:
>>
>> It would be better to only have to get access to your IdP vs.
>> having to go out and retrieve all of your credentials again. You
>> could also use a mechanism to add more than one FIDO device to
>> authenticate with your IdP or use additional alternative
>> authentication mechanisms. Adding an additional/backup FIDO device
>> wouldn't require visiting all of your issuers to get your
>> credentials tied to the new device; you'd only have to undergo a
>> linking process to tie it to the same identity at your IdP.
>
> If you have two FIDO devices then you might as well register then
> both with your issuers, then you have two ways of authenticating to
> them and getting credentials. It would be good if FIDO could add a
> mechanism for linking devices (keys) together as part of its
> specifications, so that two or more keys can be registered to the
> same account. I dont know if they have considered this or not. I can
> ask.

Yeah, ideally I wouldn't have to go about registering both with all of
the issuers as well as my IdP/Identity Agent. Linking two FIDO devices
together so one functions as a backup would be the preferred method
(from a usability standpoint). I wouldn't want to do any more work than
that.

>> We have another layer (the WebDHT) that lets you specify public
>> keys that give you access to one of your identities. In the design,
>> we also want to add the ability for users to specify other keys or
>> identities that can vouch for you. Provided that you can obtain M
>> of N signatures from those other parties, you can add a new key to
>> get access to your identity again if you had lost it. We're trying
>> to make it as painless as possible, yet still secure, for people to
>> use these systems.
>
> Understood. I think that usability functions like the above will grow
> as user demand for them grows. There is a balance to be struck
> between making the initial system all singing and dancing, but too
> complex for implementors to want to bother implementing it.

I agree -- trade offs. But I don't think the system we've been designing
in the Credentials CG goes too far in its level of complexity.

--
Dave Longley
CTO