Re: Square's new payee identifier: cashtags

From: Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:26:29 +0200
To: Andy McKay <amckay@mozilla.com>
Cc: W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
Another way to think about it might be to adopt a symbol that explicitly
represents a namespace outside the DNS system?

Could !username mean, look my identity up on Telehash?
So the discovery protocol may be something like:

IF identifier starts with '!' lookup on Telehash
ELSE IF identifier has the form user@domain lookup using WebFinger and fall
back to Telehash
ELSE IF identifier starts with '@' lookup on Twitter identity service
fallback to medium.com identity service
ELSE IF identifier starts with '$' lookup on cash.me identity service
ELSE return not found

The last two are not realistic for a global standard but I'm sure Twitter,
Medium and Square would like them