From: Eric Korb <eric.korb@accreditrust.com<mailto:eric.korb@accreditrust.com>>
Date: Monday, March 23, 2015 at 9:51 AM
To: Wiley Glen <gwiley@verisign.com<mailto:gwiley@verisign.com>>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com<mailto:msporny@digitalbazaar.com>>, "public-credentials@w3.org<mailto:public-credentials@w3.org>" <public-credentials@w3.org<mailto:public-credentials@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Leveraging DNS and email addresses

I'm not in love with the idea of using email as a keying mechanism, except I do agree it is something people do remember.

However, I think an important to point out that an "entity" can be a person, place or thing.  Yes, a place and thing can be assigned an email address.  But, we need to keep in mind that that first-proof of ownership of an identity credential does need to be validated and signed by some authority, which is likely the IdP. Therefore, the method of using an email keying mechanism for place or thing needs to be thought through between an IdP and an entity of type place or thing.

I also agree that we need to consider that a person may have multiple emails for various reasons, be it business, personal, educational, etc.  So, being able to change the associated email address with your IdP is a use case we need to consider.

Eric

"Trust only credentials that are TrueCred¢â verified."
Eric Korb, President/CEO - accreditrust.com<https://www.accreditrust.com>
GoogleVoice: 908-248-4252<tel:908-248-4252>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/erickorb @erickorb @accreditrust