The Credential Management API. Was: Web2Native Bridge emulator

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 07:49:18 +0200
To: W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
We can use the Credential Management API as a "litmus test" on how simple
it is introducing new Web APIs and getting them implemented and used.

I may (of course) be completely wrong, but I have a feeling that this API is
already dead in the water, joining "forces" with SysApps, WebCrypto.Next, and
any number of incubator schemes.  Why is that?  Because creating a universal
Credential Management API is *way* outside of what an SDO (at this stage) can
efficiently deal with, while a limited API probably won't gather enough interest.

The Web2Native Bridge scheme was designed for enabling the market to launch
*different takes on the same topic* which is some cases could lead to a next step
and becoming a "real" standard.  However, you can actually build real standards
based on a specific application interface as well.

Unlike browser-based standards such standards can be developed by the most
interested parties which I think could speed-up Web development by *magnitudes*.

In fact, the Web could even begin to seriously compete with "Apps" since it
would suddenly have the power of *both* worlds.

Anders,
Enthusiastic developer, terribly poor salesman and politician