Re: Agenda: Credentials CG Teleconference - Tuesday, June 9thnd 2015

On 2015-06-09 05:35, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're putting aside a good chunk of the Credentials CG meeting this week
> to speak with our guest, Ian Jacobs, who is a long time veteran of W3C
> and staff contact for the W3C Web Payments Interest Group. As many of
> you know, the Web Payments IG has a number of credentialing requirements
> that we believe are aligned w/ the education and healthcare requirements
> in this group. The rest of the time will be focused on the use cases
> updates.

As a long-time user of bank-issued credentials of the more sophisticated
kind used in the EU, I would like to elaborate on on how these systems
typically work.

Each bank (or trust network to be more correct) usually wants to "normalize"
credentials both with respect to technology and content.  That means that
third-party credentials have little use except during enrollment/KYC.  Will
banks standardize on the Credential CG work?

One obstacle is that the processes for setting up a bank account differ
tremendously over the globe due to legal issues but also due to tradition.
For example my French bank (LCL) needed a 1-hour interview in person at a
specific branch office while my Swedish bank (Swedbank) essentially only
know me as a number (SSN).

Another hurdle is convincing issuers of third-party credentials updating
their mostly card-based systems.  There is a already scheme pushed in the
EU called eIDAS that addresses general interoperability:
https://ec.europa.eu/dgs/connect/en/content/electronic-identification-and-trust-services-eidas-regulatory-environment-and-beyond
However, there are still major national differences on how they view the
ID-question.  Germany and Sweden are virtually miles apart and both think
they have the right solution :-)

The recent deprecation of browser extensions has also put a serious dent in
governments' eID plans.  Estonia have recently laughed a scheme using entirely
browser-specific solutions http://www.id.ee/
while Sweden shelved their browser solution and turned to "Apps".  The right
decision IMO.

Anders