Re: Hello Credentials CG

On 03/27/2015 11:21 AM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> Hello there,
Hi Markus,

> Just wanted to say hello, I have been on the list for a while but
> haven't had a chance yet to participate.
> For a while now, my friend Pavlik has been encouraging me to study the
> great work you are doing!
Thank you for introducing yourself to the group. At the same time my
apologies that no one (including me till now) replied :(

> I'd like to share a few observations, questions..
>
> 1. A few years ago I was working on the Eclipse Higgins project and
> InfoCards (aka Microsoft CardSpace).
> The Credentials work reminds me very much of what we did back then, so
> probably you are aware of that?
> What you call a credential was called a card, but it was before JSON-LD,
> so our cards simply had 15 pre-defined key/value fields.
> We basically had all the architecture and components working, with
> browser plug-ins ("selectors") that could submit cards (credentials) as
> well as accept newly issued ones.
> We even built a simple iPhone browser plug-in that could do this, in
> 2008 even before Apple had released the App Store.
> Okay enough history, you may have already known this anyway.
Adrian just asked about Higgins over this mailing list :)
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Jun/0007.html

> One thing that is not quite clear to me is whether a) a fresh credential
> is obtained from the credential service every time it is needed at a
> website, or whether b) it is just obtained once and then stored. Reading
> your spec draft, I think it is a), but your intro video seems to suggest
> b). So I assume you are considering both approaches.
>
> Another question I have is, how would I actually submit a credential to
> a website in practice, e.g. with a browser plug-in or otherwise, do you
> have working demos of this?
I couldn't fully follow all the recent work in this group, bit stuck
with Social WG work. I think you can take a look at some links I tried
to gather on github.
https://github.com/opencreds/website/wiki

> 2. I've also been working quite intensely with a technology called XDI,
> which is a bit like the "evil twin" of RDF :)
> XDI is politically a bit sensitive, and I don't want to get into it too
> much.
> But I do want to share a list of demos and use cases we have worked on
> in the XDI world:
> http://xdi2.org/demos.html
Awesome! Those demos look very helpful, I'll try to go through them all
and reply soon.

> There seems to be some overlap with your use cases.
> In one of them ("+acmepizza"), a website requests an up-to-date e-mail
> address for a customer whenever it is needed.
> This seems to be similar to your "Non-interactive Transmission" use case.
>
> Anyway, just wanted to share this, looking forward to studying your work
> more and comparing it with the technologies I have worked with.
>
> 3. My understanding is that a few of you will be at the upcoming IIW?
> If so, it would be great to meet there and chat!
Did you find someone from this group at IIW?

> all the best,
> Markus

Once again, happy that you decided to say hello! I should deploy on my
webpage withing a week, my handcrafted setup to start implementing User
Stories from Social WG. I really hope to have than more time to engage
again with this group :)

Ciao o/