W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > July 2015

Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2015-07-21

From: <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:04:11 -0400
Message-Id: <1437498251786.0.17450@zoe>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Gregg Kellogg and Nate Otto for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:

http://opencreds.org/minutes/2015-07-21/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Credentials Community Group Telecon Minutes for 2015-07-21

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Jul/0019.html
Topics:
  1. Introduction to Andrew
  2. Introduction to John Tibbetts
  3. Recruiting
  4. Vision
  5. Glossary
  6. Use Cases
  7. Capabilities
  8. Roadmap
Organizer:
  Manu Sporny
Scribe:
  Gregg Kellogg and Nate Otto
Present:
  Gregg Kellogg, Manu Sporny, Andrew Rosen, John Tibbetts, Eric 
  Korb, Nate Otto, Brendan Benshoof, Brent Shambaugh, Sunny Lee, 
  David I. Lehn, Rob Trainer, Laura Fowler
Audio:
  http://opencreds.org/minutes/2015-07-21/audio.ogg

Gregg Kellogg is scribing.
Manu Sporny:  Intro to new folks, update on recruiting, then go 
  into documents: vision, glossary, use cases, capabilities, and 
  road map.

Topic: Introduction to Andrew

Andrew Rosen:  I’m a PhD student at Georgia State. I’m interested 
  in distributed hash tables.
Manu Sporny:  We think we’re going to have quite a bit of work to 
  do with distributed hash tables for discovery.
  … We’re hoping that Brendan and Andrew will be able to help us 
  out.

Topic: Introduction to John Tibbetts

John Tibbetts:  I’m an independent, working with different 
  enterprises; ususally in systems integration. In the last decade 
  working exclusively in higher education.
  … I’m active with IMS global, who adopted JSON-LD some time 
  ago. We have a number of integration facilities and standards 
  activities based on JSON-LD.
  … One of the groups is tools interoperability; the predomenant 
  way of integrating different systems with digital asset 
  providers.
  … Some of the machinery for that is getting a bit 
  long-in-the-tooth. We’re looking for beter ways to identify 
  identitiy providers and so forth
Manu Sporny:  Great to have one of the core people from IMS LTI 
  here!

Topic: Recruiting

Manu Sporny:  To get a W3C working group started, we need to 
  demonstrate sufficient interest in the work.
  … THis involves recuriting people to be sure that once the WG 
  is chartered, it’s on a good path to success. Typically W3C does 
  this, but since we’re eager to go, they’ve asked us to help.
Eric Korb:  I’ve been working on the list and have sent out 
  invites to all my contacts. I sent out 5 directly to individuals.
  … I know that 4 of them say they’ve completed the process.
  … I also sent out followup to some of the 100 other contacts, 
  but I’m concerned that they’re getting stuck in SPAM.
  … I don’t have access to the result of the survey.
  … I’ve got a good template; if anyone would like to use it, I’d 
  be happy to share.
Eric Korb:  It would be nice to get access to the stats.
Manu Sporny:  Not trying to keep it secret, but …
Eric Korb:  I’ll update the summary spreadsheet.
Manu Sporny:  Good news is that from yesterday, we have in 7 new 
  responses, so we’re close to tipping over the 5% response W3CM 
  would like.
  … Supposedly, 5% of membership is enough, but they’d also like 
  to see new members.
Eric Korb:  I’ll send out another ping, but don’t want to pester 
  people.
Manu Sporny:  (Reviews recent responses from spread-sheet).
Nate Otto is scribing.
Manu Sporny:  JP Morgan Chase, Citrix, Ingenico (sp) which does 
  hardware based payment terminals--they're interested in being 
  able to provide a credential at point of sale. That's good; the 
  emails are being effective. If we can do this same kind of growth 
  over the next two weeks within existing membership, wer're solid.
  ...Then we can turn our attention to new members
Manu Sporny:  We have some contacts at IMS Global who can help do 
  outreach as well.
Manu Sporny:  In other news, we've found a W3C staff members who 
  are very interested in championing this internally.
Manu Sporny:  There is another employee who has been 
  critical/roadblocking some of the work, and this other staff 
  contact is goint to try to keep pushing it forward. In order for 
  things to happen at W3C, you really need an internal champion, 
  and it's good news to be chatting with this staff member.
Manu Sporny:  So that's good news.
Nate Otto:  Two updates  - Concentric Sky - still taking deep 
  look at tech [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Nate Otto:  One engineer was concerned w/ new technologies to 
  make it work. [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Nate Otto:  We will reach out to Manu soon. [scribe assist by 
  Manu Sporny]
Nate Otto:  Reached out to Mozilla Foundation again, not sure 
  they're going to push Mozilla as a company to support it. 
  Concentric Sky is at least onboard for an Interest Group as well. 
  [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Nate Otto:  CSky would support further investigation - would hope 
  stuff passes engineering review this week. [scribe assist by Manu 
  Sporny]
Manu Sporny:  Adding this number of new technologies is a 
  concern, but there isn't really another way around it. Happy to 
  have more conversation.

Topic: Vision

Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/vision/
Manu Sporny:  Gregg, would you mind giving an update on the 
  documents you've been working on?
Gregg Kellogg:  Updating to respec, removing payment-specific 
  stuff, went through use cases and roadmap to make basic updates 
  to be compatible.
Gregg Kellogg:  Vision document: waiting for dust to settle on 
  Google Document shared editing space, then it can be moved over 
  to ReSpec.
Manu Sporny:  Big thanks to Shane who did the glossary in the Web 
  Payments group -- benefitting from a lot of the work they have 
  done there; stealing the work and using it here.
Gregg Kellogg:  We may be able to do some magic referencing 
  github issues, which will pull the issue description out of 
  github
Gregg Kellogg:  It's not hard; I've done it in a few other specs; 
  it will probably involve creating some new issues for things that 
  are inline in the documents now.
Manu Sporny:  I've seen that Joe and Eric have been working on 
  that vision document as well.
Manu Sporny:  It's supposed to be a quick 1-2 pager to outline 
  our vision for credentials on the web and around the world.
Manu Sporny:  Eric, any comments on editing that you and Joe have 
  been doing?
Eric Korb:  Looking for feedback on what exactly are we calling 
  it -- transforming, reinterpreting content from its original web 
  payments context. Maybe we could continue to talk about it?
Manu Sporny:  Do you want to dive into it during this call next 
  week?
Eric Korb:  That would be great.
Eric Korb:  Only would do that presuming that other volunteers 
  have a chance to take a look at it between now and then
Manu Sporny:  Take a look at this by next tuesday and leave your 
  comments in there so we can have a good discussion on it.
Eric Korb:  Has anyone else had a chance to take a look at the 
  vision document?

Topic: Glossary

Manu Sporny:  We have a glossary now
Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/glossary/
Manu Sporny:  It is modeled after the glossary in the web 
  payments group. The Web Payments landscape is more complicated 
  than credentials if possible. Each standard setting organization 
  in payments has their own language. Had trouble referencing 
  anything like "payee" without referencing a bunch of definitions 
  (european, US, etc).
Manu Sporny: 
  http://opencreds.org/specs/source/glossary/#terminology
Manu Sporny:  I have a feeling we'll hit some of the same problem 
  here, but not as bad.
Manu Sporny:  This terminology section is a live document. When 
  terminology is used in another other document, its definition is 
  pulled in automatically from the glossary. It's great, because 
  people don't have to jump around; they can just stay in the same 
  document, and everything is kept in sync.
Manu Sporny: 
  http://opencreds.org/specs/source/glossary/#cross-references
Manu Sporny:  Section 2 is terminology, section 3 is 
  cross-references. The point of that is to say "this is what we 
  mean by 'recipient', but maybe a different standard-setting body 
  has a different definition. our definition is aligned to other 
  definitions here, here, and here".
Manu Sporny:  That's really all the glossary is meant to do, to 
  help us get more accurate with the language we're using here as a 
  group.

Topic: Use Cases

Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/use-cases/
Manu Sporny:  I was not able to touch the use cases doc at all in 
  the last week.
Gregg Kellogg:  Only updated terminology
Manu Sporny:  A good 6-8hrs work to move this all over is needed.
Brendan Benshoof:  How far are we supposed to push these use 
  cases?
Manu Sporny:  They're supposed to be comprehensive. What we've 
  been doing in Web payments is define at a high level: "I want a 
  pony", without describing exactly how you're giong to get that 
  pony. Then group goes through to prioritize, decide if that is a 
  use case that you really want to get into the document.
Manu Sporny:  We have to be very narrowly focused in creating a 
  working group. If we cast the net too wide, we run the risk of 
  creating a permanent working group, which we don't want.
Manu Sporny:  Please link to google doc of use cases
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GySrTXAYpwa4vDPsGE3BMA42FwIAqAyLGigKuKUTGks/edit#
Manu Sporny:  That's the content that needs to be moved over into 
  the new format
Manu Sporny:  You andrew and I could talk in more detail when we 
  chat tomorrow, about editing & respec and all that.
Manu Sporny:  Anything else on use cases?

Topic: Capabilities

Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/capabilities/
Manu Sporny:  Capabilities describe features we want the global 
  credentials architecture to have.
Manu Sporny:  They're a mixture of requirements and capabilities, 
  derived from the use case
Manu Sporny:  Progress is that the document exists, that it's 
  hooked up to the terminology, now we just need to start filling 
  out content.

Topic: Roadmap

Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/roadmap/
Brendan Benshoof: I'm available to help with this now but I am 
  nto sure how to start helping. if somebody could poke me outside 
  this call?
Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/
Brendan Benshoof: ^ Capabilities
Manu Sporny:  Whenever somebody makes a change to the repository, 
  the website updates itself. Anything you see on the site is the 
  latest thing that's published.
Gregg Kellogg:  A workflow that has worked well for me in the CSV 
  WG is to create pull requests from a feature branch for your 
  changes.
Brendan Benshoof: +1 Pull requests
Gregg Kellogg:  In many respects, we made use of the PRs even if 
  it was immediately pulled by the author. GitHub is good at 
  resolving issues with this workflow.
Gregg Kellogg:  If you do have the ability, if you make the 
  branch within the opencreds repository rather than within your 
  own fork, it makes it easier for others to participate in it (who 
  have write access as well)
Manu Sporny:  We should adopt that work flow
Nate Otto: +1
Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/roadmap/
Manu Sporny:  Any objections to adopting pull requests? No. Ok, 
  that will be the way we work.
Brendan Benshoof: There is a bit of learning curve with git. But 
  for just text editing, you could even do it only in the github 
  webui.
Manu Sporny:  Back to the Roadmap... I haven't been able to touch 
  that document at all. gkellogg ?
Manu Sporny:  Still needs updating
Manu Sporny:  We've made quite a bit of progress in the last 
  week. At this point, it's just a bunch of grunt work to move text 
  from google docs, then do a bunch of editing
Manu Sporny:  After editors get the first set of text in there, 
  we'll ask for reviews from the group.
Manu Sporny:  Anything else to discuss today? Editors, try to get 
  some text written this week so we can review next week. Send a 
  ping out to the mailing list so people can review additions and 
  share thoughts on this call next week.
Brent Shambaugh: Vint Cerf?
Eric Korb:  I would bring everybody's attention to the video 
  timothy posted to the group. A point about 30m in that is about 
  exactly what we're doing.
http://www.c-span.org/video/?325750-1/google-vice-president-vint-cerf-future-internet
Brendan Benshoof: https://github.com/opencreds/website/issues/5
Manu Sporny:  We have good contacts to VInt Cerf and have briefly 
  mentioned this to him, though he probably talks to 1000 people a 
  month, so he might need a refresher. Great work, everybody, we 
  might be able to piece together something we can act on based on 
  Tim's post.
Manu Sporny:  Thanks everyone for the call. Have a great week.
Received on Tuesday, 21 July 2015 17:04:35 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 11 July 2018 21:19:24 UTC