Re: DEFcon

On 06/30/2015 04:21 PM, Brent Shambaugh wrote:
> I know you all know a lot, but it bothers me that the people doing
> the work tend to be the same people and it is small in number.

It's a problem of time and funding, not interest.

Many of us are not going because we're really busy and it costs a lot of
time and money to go to those sorts of things. That time, at least right
now, is better spent building prototypes and writing specs.

That doesn't mean there won't be ample security review of what we're
building in time, it's just that it takes time to build the momentum to
get there.

In the meantime, what you may not see is us taking part in other groups
like the Web Security IG, Cryptography Forum Research Group, and reading
security research papers and specs as they come out of IETF.

We're not turning a blind eye to this stuff; DEFcon is neat, but it's
not what we need right now.

blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/