LinkedIn purchase of lynda.com

From: Sunny Lee <sunny@badgealliance.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:15:41 -0700
To: Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Howdy folks,

Yesterday I came across Audrey Watters' analysis on LinkedIn's acquisition
of lynda.com here:
https://medium.com/@audreywatters/data-and-diplomas-on-linkedin-s-acquisition-of-lynda-com-47d87790cb1c

Her conclusion was this:

Instead education data is often trapped in silos — inaccessible to and
uncontrolled by learners. Students are compelled to use ed-tech software,
but have little say in what happens to their content and your data. Now, I
don’t think LinkedIn users have a lot of say in what happens to their
content and data there; but hey, at least they can export it if they want
to.Hopefully that feature won’t disappear as LinkedIn moves to become a new
“certification platform.” (But I’m not going to hold my breath… nor expect
any tech blogs to cover this…)

I do agree that linkedin's foray into training content is more than just a
content play and may signal entry into certification and credentialing.
With that said, I wonder if they should be on the list of recruits for the
cred cg:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u0DC4U7jAayv1IvOY2qu7nMRtiFOPxwCT3BkPJek5ho/edit#heading=h.tk9sxa7wovya

Maybe there's history already there that I'm not aware of but thought I'd
share with this group.

Thoughts?

Sunny