Re: Slides: High-level intro to Credentials (W3C TPAC)

On 10/23/2014 07:45 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> It's the third time ive tried this demo and it still confuses me.
> When trying on firefox / ubuntu I am left filling out 2-3 forms and
> ending with a login button that I cant get past.

I hate to throw a blog post at you, but I'm strapped for time due to
TPAC. Have you followed these instructions (and have you tried w/ Google
Chrome):

https://manu.sporny.org/2014/identity-credentials/

> So the aim of this group seems to separate the content from the
> medium to make it portable and add signatures to verify.  A good
> idea!

:)

> I keep trying to find an identity that I can look and test with, at
> but I can never seem to get one when trying to demo, nor have I ever
> been pointed to one when asking for one.  So I'll try one more time.
> Do you have an example identity that can be looked at e.g. with curl,
> and in the browser?

Keep in mind that this system is highly experimental, so you might try
opening a Javascript console and looking for a failure message. In the
end, you should end up w/ an identity URL that looks like this
(borrowing from the PaySwarm implementation for publicly listed identity
information):

https://dev.payswarm.com/i/manu

You can CURL that URL and get JSON-LD back:

curl https://dev.payswarm.com/i/manu

and in the future, you'd be able to see public "claim"s as well:

http://opencreds.org/specs/source/identity-credentials/#a-typical-identity

> Best I saw a flash of was @id = identus.com/Melvin
> <http://identus.com/Melvin> Carvalho ... which seems to think the
> document and the data are the same thing, which I think may be
> problematic if the primary goal is portability ...

The demo doesn't expose machine-readable information via content
negotiation yet. In the future it will, but the identity credentials
demo was more about creating an identity, writing credentials to that
identity, and using those credentials to log into a website. If the demo
were to work for you, this is the type of information you'd see placed
into your identity (here's mine):

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=syQE7xkX

Some of that information would be exposed publicly, some of it wouldn't.