Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Digital Signatures for Credentials

On 19 November 2014 19:09, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> To be clear, I think the Social WG will use JOSE for all existing and
> future Web standards in this space where digital signatures and JSON
> delivery of encryption is required for the aforementioned reasons (none
> of which seem seriously argued with below - note that key discovery is
> orthogonal to formats), as new signature formats are out of scope for
> the Social WG.
>
> They are in scope for the JOSE WG. If you wish to have a discussion with
> JOSE, you are more than welcome to take that up that up with the JOSE WG
> at the IETF, although be clear that SM is not a competing specification
> or standard by the W3C but  an pronto-specification of a Community
> Group. If the IETF wishes to adopt some part of SM, they could.
>
> The W3C co-ordinates with IETF over standards and so it makes no sense
> for the W3C to produce a competing standards for signing and encrypting
> JSON. All Payments-based future work simply adopt JOSE as needed, and if
> the use-cases of SM are actually realistic, they can be taken up by the
> JOSE WG in future versions.

Harry, perhaps I am misreading your statement, it's absurd to advocate that
*all* payments based future work adopt JOSE, imho.  Not least for the fact
that not all payments work on the web will even be JSON.  I am already
reusing the normalization and signature work that has been largely
standardized by the web payments and credential group.

Hard to imagine that this can be an official W3C position.